Chapter 8- Safe and Sound

I threw on my shoes, my shorts, and my tank top and ran after Natalie after she frantically left the beach. I don't really know this girl that well, but I know she'll still need some comfort and a friend for her, everybody does.

     " Natalie, wait!" I call her. I am panting now from running the whole walk on the sand. I try to calm my breath by taking deep breaths, while I wipe some sweat off of my forehead. She stops speed walking when she hears me call her, and is panting, too. She turns around with a frantic look on her face and is on the verge of tears. 

     " What's wrong, are you okay?" I ask her and she throws herself into my arms ad starts sobbing on my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her back to comfort her as she cries. I pat her back, then rub small circles to try to calm her down at least a little. 

    She lifts off of my shoulder and faces me with red eyes and a red nose from crying so hard. " It's Jenna. Her dad was drunk and he found out we moved without telling him. He got really mad and took it out on Jenna. He literally beat her so bad that she couldn't call for help, and a neighbor found her barely breathing in the back yard. She's in a coma right now. I knew we shouldn't have left, I knew this was gonna happen!" She screams the last part, starting to cry again. She is so frantic right now that she looks like she might just crumble into a million pieces on the floor right now. 

     " I'm so sorry Natalie. Are you going to the hospital to get her?" I ask with worry in my eyes, as well as tears from Jenna's horrific story and Natalie's state right now. I might have never met Jenna, but I care. She grabs her hair up in a fist, closes her eyes, and sighs loudly in an attempt to calm down.

     " Yeah we are leaving as soon as I get back to the house. I might be gone for a few days." She says, calming down finally. 

     " That's okay, give me your number and I'll call you every day." I say and she tells me her phone number and I put it in my phone and reciting her number, then gives me a quick hug and sprints off in the opposite direction to get to her house.. I sigh, and turn around to head back to the beach and the rest of the group is already near by. I see them round a corner carrying all of the things that we brought. Luke is holding my bag and runs to meet up with me. His foot steps get louder as he gets closer and opens his arms, embracing in a hug. 

     " Baby, baby, baby. Why are you crying?" He asks over my head as my head rests on his shoulder. He holds me tight, making me feel so much better, so effortlessly. That isn't something everyone has with me, almost the polar opposite.

     " It's Jenna. Something terrible has happened to her." I say breathing heavily trying to get the tears away from my eyes.

     " W-what happened?" He says, pulling away and looking into my eyes looking very worried.

     " She- " I look down, coughing away the lump in my throat. " She's in a coma."

---------------------------------------------------------------

     Luke and I are snuggled up on the sofa watching The Avengers together for the first time, most likely out of many. I laugh hysterically at the inside jokes made in the movie that you catch when your really paying attention. Luke managed to make me feel better after the episode with Natalie. Seeing other people sad makes me sad.

      Torwards the end, my phone vibrates from my back pocket. I pull it out and look at the caller ID, Natalie. I look at Luke, and nod. He mutes the TV and I slide the "answer" key and hold the phone to my ear,

       " Hello? Jacey?" She says, obviously crying.

       " Natalie? Are you okay?" I ask and sit up straight.