Chapter 1

Hi to everyone who's taking their time to read this. I just want to point out that this is completely a work a fiction and that the things that characters might thing or say do not reflect my own views or beliefs. Furthermore, I don't know a lot about women in army, but I did a mini research on it. However if you could provide some useful information or insights on it or if you think I am doing something completely wrong feel free to inbox me with the correct information. 

________________________________________________________

September 18th 1991

Catherine wiped the perspiration off her brow, as she sluggishly trudged off the train. Her blue eyes appeared even darker with fatigue. Draping her camouflage bag over one shoulder she scanned the station. She was the only passenger that descended here, not that she expected anything else.

Who would want to come to this hellhole anyway?

She ran her hand through her considerably shorter hair. Her combat boots reverberated on the halls of the empty station corridor as she searched for the exit. Apparently not much changed in her hometown. Everything still seemed old, and dusty, forgotten. Middle aged man working at the counter looked at her with interest as she passed by. Catherine nodded in his direction courtly, vaguely recognizing his face.

She sighed heavily, not believing how life liked to play tricks on people quite often. She thought she got rid of her old life forever, but it seemed that destiny dealt her a surprising card. After so much hard work to be where she was now, somehow she ended up back in the place which she resented from the depths of her heart.

Catherine cringed in disgust at the humid air that welcomed her as soon as she exited the station. She noticed the shabby looking cab parked at the curb, its driver exhaling a puff of cigarette smoke and scanning her with a curious gaze. He smirked in her direction when his beady eyes stopped on her face. Catherine rolled her eyes in annoyance changing her mind. She'd rather walk to that place than being undressed by some perverted taxi driver's eyes.

The sky was getting darker even though it was only late afternoon. It seemed as if heavy downpour could start any minute now. Catherine hoped that she'd get there first. As much as she wanted to prolong the inevitable, she was tired and frustrated and she wasn't ready to be soaked wet on top of everything.

Five years... Catherine thought of that day when she decided she's had enough, when she decided she'd take her destiny in her own hands, and change her life. She left, just like that. She went back to the house, left the beer on the counter, and after waiting for her good for nothing father to pass out, she sneaked out. Her mother was at work, and Catherine remembered the remorse that hit her as she thought of leaving her airhead mother. She wasn't a bad woman, but Catherine just couldn't stay and become like her, plain, mediocre, swallowed in the pathetic routine of her life.

After she packed some necessities and stole some money from her father's hidden place that obviously wasn't so good since she managed to find it, she went over to Emily's house. Not seeing the little girl anywhere Catherine handed the small package to her mother, and with the tears threatening to spill out, she ran. She ran, and she never looked back. Not a call, not a letter, nothing. And she regretted nothing, except for maybe Emily. Emily deserved to know why she left.

There is no point in counting regrets now, she thought to herself. She was close now, she could recognize the streets. Everything looked the same. Sure, there were a couple of new stores, and some old ones were closed. Wooden boards were nailed to the doors, windows were dusty and decorated with occasional dirty word or a picture. But this place, this town still emanated the same feeling, the one of oblivion and decay. Catherine clenched her fists hard, fighting off the urge to turn around and take the first train away from here. No, you are stronger now, no more running... from anything.

She received a couple more curious glances, brows furrowing, raising, questioning the strange girl in military outfit that strolled down the streets. Old gossipy ladies stopped their never ending complains about heart problems or arthritis or whatever other troubles they had as they squinted their eyes towards the newcomer. Catherine nodded swiftly in their direction, causing them to turn their heads away as if they were caught doing something inappropriate. Catherine didn't mind, she was probably the most interesting thing they've seen in days.

One more block and I will be there again, she thought to herself, hiking her bag's strap higher on her shoulder. The bag wasn't that heavy, but she felt the need to do something, something that will take this uneasy feeling away.

She slowed down, turning around a corner, seeing the ominous silhouette of that place in the short distance. Despite being trained to tone down her emotions, to be strong mentally, she couldn't stop the quickening of her heart, the adrenaline that rushed in her blood, fight or flight response. Past can't do you harm anymore Catherine, she whispered to herself.

The street was abandoned, quiet, too quiet for Catherine's taste. By now she got used to loud sounds, frightening sounds, and quiet was only alarming. The clicking of her boots finally stopped in front of the place she knew so well, place she had so often seen in her nightmares. She recognized that rusty fence so well, the faded, peeling ugly orange paint, the dirty windows, the squeaky wooden door.  Catherine sighed. Home.