Chapter I

"Give her room, give her room. Soon she will wake."
Pain. It was everywhere. Consciousness rushed to me-- I began to be aware of too much at once. The temperature was cold. The sky was dark. The voices hurt.

"I cannot allow you to startle her and ruin this. We have been waiting too long, too long. You won't messsss this up!"
Chirping, buzzing. A steady hummmmm. I needed vision. The body was tired from the transformation. I willed it to move. I tried to open the eyelids, but nothing would cooperate.
"Ah, there! I saw that! There, there ... now-- shhhh! A-are you alright, lady?"
"She looks a tad bit frozen, maybe give her some time, Crass? You say she came from the sky ..."

"From a star. A star, Zest. I have been over this with you."

If only they knew ... I had to move. Prickles went over the body in waves-- the strangest sensation, but I was sure this meant progress.

"Why is she so slimy? What is that?"

"I haven't a clue. A sort of jelly, perhaps."

I would explain all of this in due time, if I could just ... move.

"Give her your cloak, Crass. She is naked, for goodness' sake."

"I do not wish to have jelly all over my cloak."

"Winter is almost here, have some decency, Man!"
Something soft was lain over the body. I was finally able to open the eyes. I saw stars. The moon. Skeletal plant matter stretched to the sky. Several glowing orbs surrounded me, of many colors. Then a face eclipsed the moon.

"Greetings, Star Lady. I h-have been w-waiting for you."

Speech was still quite lost on me. I opened and shut the eyelids a few more times, attempting focus. The creature hovered over me, looking, I was sure, for signs of understanding. It's violet eyes searched the face, while a bright yellow orb hovered near its head. "I think she still needs time."

The larger creature let out a long, heavy breath, accompanied by a strange odor. "Thank you, Little Obvious."

I concentrated on the orb, though it still hurt the eyes. I could vaguely see that there was some sort of tiny flying creature in its center but I couldn't quite get the eyes to focus enough to see it clearly.

"Aye, let's not associate my proportionate size with a lack of intelligence."

As I strained for more details, something shifted. Within an instant, the light was adjusted and I could see the creature hovering clearly, magnified as if it was directly in front of this face. Translucent wings extended from behind its shoulders, fluttering with both speed and grace. The word came to mind: Fey. I was surrounded by a hoard of faeries and a human. Not quite the receiving party I had been expecting.

"Do you think she knows what we are saying?"

When I consciously relaxed, I was able to return the vision to normal. I also felt I was experiencing an increase in body temperature. I attempted movement again. Only the neck and shoulders responded.

"Shush, she is stirring."

The human bent to me. "We are here to assist you. Your coming was foretold long ago. Please know, please know."

"Very graceful, Crass. I'm sure she's terrified."

Fear? Oh Creature, I have no reason to fear you. With considerable effort, I was able to rise. Blood rushed to the head. I could hear it pulsing.

"Whoah, there." I felt the touch and tensed. The human drew back immediately, sensing my discomfort. "My apologies, Lady."

"We mean you no harm," the yellow faery told me.