Chapter 1

ARIAS POV

"School is not my cup of tea. I would be perfectly fine staying home and teaching myself if it meant not having to deal with Mollie White. She is the single-most horrible person I've ever met. Just last year, she spread a rumor that my best friend, Marlene Perkins, was the one that vandalized the lockers outside of our homeroom class. It was terrible. She didn't stop crying for a week.

The worst thing about Mollie is the fact that people actually trust her. She's just a likeable person to everyone else. Sooner or later, she's gonna have a lot of angry people wanting revenge after experiencing her dark magic power. Just once, I'd love to smack that little-"

"Miss Sherwood," I jerked my head away from my laptop when hearing Mrs. Tarren, the journalism teacher, blurting my name out right behind my shoulder, "You know good and well that we can't publish a story like that. This isn't an opinionated essay.

I sighed, "I know, Mrs. Tarren. But-"

"No buts," she interrupted me again, "That whole story you were just working on was nothing but opinions. What was the topic anyway?"

"What were Mr. Arnold's thoughts about the big budget cut on the drama program?"

She rolled her eyes and hobbled away to the next student who was having trouble. I sighed again and closed out of the file I was just working on.

Ok, so maybe I'm a little opinionated. So what? That snake of a girl really needs to be taken down. Her lies have been controlling this school for too long.

I love writing. Or, rather, writing for the school paper. My mom says that I'm obsessed. I don't care. I want to be a professional journalist when I grow up. I want to write stories and broadcast and publish them. I want people to see or hear my news, and be inspired.

I just have to graduate first.

Marlene is always telling me that I should get out of my comfort zone more. Meet a guy. Go to a party. Walk outside. You know, the usual routines of the modern teenager. I just want to write. Write and work.

My other best friend is probably Jack Johnson. He's in my journalism class with me and Marlene. We've known each other since kindergarten. From seventh grade to just last year, I had the biggest crush on him. There was something about his cute elfish face and blonde hair that caused me to like him for four whole years. Yes, four whole years. I don't know how I managed to care that much for that long, but I did. He doesn't even know. I stopped liking him this year when he told me about his crush on the evil Mollie White. I knew then and there that whatever image I had of us ever being together was gone and would never come back. I had been friend-zoned by my crush of four years because of my mortal enemy.

Jack was explaining his schedule to Marlene, "Yeah, I have English Lit. next, and then biology after that. Oh, and then..."

I zoned out of their conversation. I asked Mrs. Tarren if I could go to the bathroom and hastily walked out of the door.

Our school was originally supposed to be a community college campus, but the builders decided to move it somewhere else and turn this one into a high school. One thing I particularly hate about this school is the fact that all of the buildings are way too far away from each other.

The building I just happened to be in didn't have a bathroom, so I had to walk over to another building just to relieve myself. I glanced out over the courtyard and saw a new kid walking across. He was tall and had a lean body shape. I could see medium dark brown hair peeking out from under his light blue beanie, and a blue surfing shirt covered with a hoodie. He was walking almost insecurely. He kept looking down at his schedule and then back up at the buildings.