Chapter 9

ARIAS POV

It's been a full 24 hours since I dropped the bomb on Dylan. I'd have to say that he took it pretty well. By pretty well, I mean he literally picked me off of my feet and spun me around like we were in some cheesy 80s movie.

When he set me down and got his act together, we started talking like nothing bad had ever happened between us. I finally had my friend back, and it sounded like he wanted to be more than friends. But we'll save that for later. The worst thing anyone could possibly do is rush a relationship.

Marlene seemed ecstatic that we became friends again. She'd called me as soon as school let out, and we talked for at least an hour. She told me that she'd been rooting for me all along, whatever that means.

Jack, however, was a different story. He couldn't believe that we made up after all of the trouble that we caused him. Dylan said that he wasn't mad at him, but Jack was still very irritated with me for throwing him under the bus. I didn't think he'd be friendly with me for a while after that. I'd finally gotten a piece of my life together, but another was broken off in the effort. It was going to take a lot of time and apologies to win him back. I couldn't stand to have him mad at me, but there were more pressing matters to attend to.

Today, I was going to Dylan's house after school to do homework and hang out with Tyler for a little while. I'd heard that he wasn't doing too hot, so I wanted to pay him a visit.

Taking a deep breath, I walked up to his door. It was a cheery red color surrounded by warped windows. After I rang the doorbell, I noticed a distorted figure approaching to answer the door.

I was greeted by Dylan's stepdad. He had mousy-brown hair that was graying at the temples. I saw a small bald spot peeking over the top of his head.

"Ah, you must be Aria," he offered his hand to shake, "I'm Daniel."

I smiled and accepted his hand shake, "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too."

"I met your wife, Lisa, at one of her dinner parties a few months ago. I think my sister is one of her students."

"Oh, yes, yes I remember you now. You went upstairs to save Dylan and Tyler from dying of boredom."

He meant that statement as a joke, but a dark thought crossed his mind that he didn't want to surface. Tyler must've been doing a lot worse than I'd expected.

"Is it ok if I go find them?" I asked in a bright tone. I pointed upstairs towards the boys' rooms.

"By all means, go ahead," he tried to sound chipper, but his sullen thoughts haunted his mind.

"Thanks," I hurried upstairs before the situation got more awkward.

I'd checked both bedrooms, but neither of them were occupied. The only room left upstairs was the playroom, so I headed in that direction.

Walking up to the door, I heard Tyler's high pitched laughter, and a deeper chuckle from Dylan. Apparently I'd missed out on the joke.

After quietly knocking on the door, I slid it open and peeked inside. Tyler was carefully seated on a bean bag with a big bowl of popcorn. Dylan was sprawled out in front of him. Popcorn and kernels were strewn everywhere. It was on the floor beneath them, in their hair, and on top of the T.V. that was showing an episode of Friends. They were both laughing so hard that they didn't notice I had stepped into the room.

I cleared my throat loudly and waited for them to see me. Tyler turned around curiously, and his eyes immediately lit up.

"Aria!" He exclaimed, "Thank God you're back!"