Chapter Eleven

The next couple of days flew by quickly. I spent most of my time with Max and Holly. They seemed to be getting along great. Holly and I went shopping for Christmas presents. I also got Jace’s birthday present, which was much cooler, because his birthday was coming up.

Tonight is Sara’s gymnastics competition and I promised I would come. It was about four hours away so we were staying at a hotel; I hoped I wouldn’t be paired with Jace. But, at the same time… I kind of did. It was a small chance since his dad would probably take control.

I had borrowed one of Holly’s old dresses, surprised that it fit me so well. The bottom was a bit short, but she also borrowed me some tights to where under it. The dress had the kinds of straps that tie behind your neck and it was a dark red. The leggings were black and I wore my gray converse with it. I looked a little gothic, especially with my dark hair, but Holly said my white fingernails and light makeup evened it out. I had to agree that I looked pretty good. Holly pulled my hair into a high ponytail and I was ready to leave.

“You look great!” Holly complimented me, pulling me by my bare arm to the hallway.

Max saw us and shook his head, “Oh no. My sister is not going to stay at a hotel with her boyfriend in that dress.”

“Max!” I complained, but Holly took over easily.

“Leave her alone, it’s not very revealing and she’s wearing tights underneath!”

“I don’t care. It’s too revealing for a seventeen year old.” The doorbell rang and I grabbed my bag, hopping down the stairs. Behind me Max yelled, “Vanessa you need to change into something else!” I ignored him, opening the door.

Jace stood there in a white t-shirt and black dress pants. When he saw me he gaped, “You’re wearing that?”

I nodded and he frowned, inviting himself in, “Can you change into something less showy?” I heard my brother’s garbled agreement and he said something about how much he respected Jace, before being dragged off by Holly.

I frowned, feeling a little hurt, “Why? It’s not that bad.”  

“Nessa…” He trailed off and I pursed my lips, trying to stop my eyes from watering.

“If you don’t like it just say so.”

“I don’t like it,” Jace said, and rejection washed through me.

“You’re my boyfriend and you don’t like this dress? There’s nothing wrong with it, Casey wore dresses worse than this! It makes me look pretty.”

Jace’s eyes widened and he pressed closer to me, speaking quietly in my ear, “No, Vanessa; I love the dress. And it does make you look hot which worries me, because other guys will be all over my girlfriend. And how am I supposed to keep my hands off of you in front of my dad. Besides, you’re beautiful in anything. Now that I think about it though, I like that dress... a lot.” Jace then kissed from my ear to my jaw, and finally my mouth, his hands on my hips. We stood like that for a moment, my lips on his, his hands on my waist, electricity raced through my veins, but we were interrupted all too soon.

“Aw man. Jace, you were supposed to be on my side!” Max’s voice said and I jumped away from Jace, my cheeks burning.

Jace grinned sheepishly, “Sorry, but she is my girlfriend.” He wrapped his arm around me, as if to prove his point.   

Max rolled his eyes, “Whatever, just be careful.”

Jace shifted uncomfortably while my cheeks burned brighter and I groaned, “Max.”