Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"I'm so nervous, I think I'm going to throw up," Beth said as we walked from our cars into the theatre. "I'll at least be in the chorus, right?"

I smiled. "Of course you will. You're good enough for any of the roles, especially the lead," I told her.

She scoffed. "But we both know who's getting that position."

As we entered the lobby, more people were crowded around the wall. They were looking at the casting list. Beth hurried over towards the others, and I headed into the auditorium to take a seat. I already had a good idea of who the cast would consist of. I waited for the first official rehearsal to start, where everyone would get their scripts and could go home. I sat down in the second row and glanced down at my phone, waiting for the other girls to join me.

"You liar."

I turned around at the voice. Carter was taking a seat in the row right behind me.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"You lied to me," he said, but he cracked a smile. "You said you didn't sing."

"I don't sing," I said, confused.

He looked surprised. "Really? I'd take a look at the casting list then," he said, then started cleaning his camera.

I stood up, sighing, then walked back into the lobby to find Beth. She stood in front of the cast list with her mouth open. All around, I could hear some of the actresses whispering.

"Beth?" I asked, nudging her. "What's wrong?"

She didn't answer, only pointed to the cast list.

Adella: Olivia Lafayette

Alana: Ashley McFarland

Andrina: Jenna Abraham

Aquata: Beth Douglas

Ariel: Hannah Robinson

Arista: Leah Green

Attina: Ivy Hendrickson

Carlotta: Pamela Avery

Chef Louis: Sean Kreuger

Flotsam: Antonio Garcias

Flounder: Thomas Meyer

Grimsby: Michael Sweeny

Jetsam: Andrew Jones

King Triton: Justin H. Miller

Prince Eric: Eddie Raymond

Scuttle: Derek Long

Sebastian: Louis Baker

Ursula: Angela Taylor

Vanessa: Maria Gonzalez

Chorus: Derek Long, Beth Douglas, Michael Johnson, Sean Krueger, Angela Taylor, Pamela Avery, Ivy Hendrickson, Leah Green, Olivia Lafayette, Anna Weber, Maria Gonzalez, Noah McCarthy, Jenna Abraham, Jaqueline Shultz

My eyes widened as I saw my name. No. Absolutely not. How in the world did this happen? I turned to Beth. She was smiling at me, but I could see in her eyes that she was disappointed that she wasn't cast as Ariel.

"Congratulations!" She said. "I didn't know you sang."

"I don't sing," I said, just like I did to Carter. A few people around me started staring, and I decided to clear this up before it caused trouble.

I walked back into the auditorium and saw Abigail and Doug standing by the piano with a clipboard. They were sorting through packets that I assumed were everyone's scripts.

"Abigail," I said as a apprroached.

"Abigail! Doug!" Someone else shouted. I looked to my right to see Ashley storming down the aisle towards them as well.

The couple turned towards us and smiled. "Hello girls," Abigail said. "Are you ready for the first rehearsal?"

"No," Ashley and I said in unison.

"How could you place her as Ariel?" She whined. "She's never even had any experience!"

"Abigail, please, I don't want to do this," I explained calmly. "I don't want to be in the musical. I want to sit  on the side with my piano."

"You have such a beautiful voice, Hannah." Abigail said. "I'd really like to showcase it."

"I can't." I said.

"Yes you can."

"No she can't!" Ashley cried. "Or I'll quit and tell my dad to withdraw his donations!"

Abigail and Doug looked disappointed. Then Doug looked up. "Ashley, my dear, don't you think you've had your turn?"

She scoffed. "Well, I deserve them."

"We'll only agree to it if Hannah is at least the understudy." Doug said confidently.

Ashley turned to face me. "I never get sick."

"Fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2/17/17

Thanks for reading!