Better Keep Your Promise

Jesse's POV.

I couldn't sleep.

I had the feeling that this was the start of something bad.

Nevertheless, I couldn't let fear take over me. Stepping out of bed, I got ready and walked out of my dorm.

Petra, Lukas and Ivor greeted me at the entrance. I had told them my decision yesterday, and Em said that there was no way I could win.

"Jesse..." Petra looked at me.

'Why did you do that?!' she yelled at me yesterday. I still remember her voice filled with disappointment and rage.

"Hey." I greeted back.

"Today is the day. Are you ready?" Lukas questioned.

"Beats me. Who knows what tricks Hadrian has up on his sleeves." I answered. The bell rang, signaling the start of the Games.

"See you guys. Hope we actually get to go home." I muttered the last part.

They looked at me worriedly, and gave a big smile.

The arena was really huge, and had walls everywhere. My area only had and, dirt, gravel, and a crafting table.

One look, and I knew we were playing The Walls.

...

Are you s***ting me?

"This isn't even FAIR! How do you expect me to create something out of trash?!" I screamed. The Gladiator scowled at me.

"Stay quiet! Your fighting skills are your handicaps. This is how we make it fair!"

Honestly, if this book wasn't PG, I would have cussed so much right now.

"He's obviously trying everything he can to push me down. I've got to find a way to win this!"

I dug around for any hidden resources, but no such luck. The deepest layer was gravel, and that's it.

If I'm lucky, I could find some sharp flint to use as a weapon, but it wouldn't do much damage.

Time was running out. I had to find a way to defend myself. I gathered some dirt to build a fort for defense, but I doubt that it'll do anything useful.

The other teams probably have good weapons and armor, with a great defensive plan.

And I'm here alone, with nothing but my dirt fort and one flint I found.

"It's time for the walls to come down!" Hadrian shouted through the speakers.

The sand fell, and dust flew everywhere. Taking the advantage, I shot towards the nearest enemy I could find and hit them with the flint.

Apparently I hit one of the Red Team's teammate. He bent down in pain as the other team members rushed to his aid. One of them shot an arrow at me, but I dodged and ran to the other direction.

From the left, Green Team.

Right, Yellow Team.

In front, Blue Team.

Behind me is Red Team.

...

I'm screwed.

"No way to run now!" Em shouted gleefully. Her teammates charged, as well as the other teams. Knowing that I only had 20% chance of surviving, I jumped up, forcing the rival teams to clash with each other.

When they were recovering, I noticed a stand in the middle. Are we supposed to fight for that place? Hadrian never mentioned this rule.

"Stop him!" A Yellow Team member screamed and took out their weapons.

Their goal isn't even the stand...Their goal is to eliminate me!

I ran frantically towards the stand, climbing up the ladders. If I win this, it's game over for everybody.

"No!" A Blue Team member flew herself at me. I collided with her and we both crashed onto the ground. She took out her golden sword.

"Sorry. This is for my sake." She began stabbing at all places, and I had to do a head dance to avoid the attacks.

I managed to push her off, only to be beaten down by another member. "I got him! He's defenseless now!"

Kicking the Blue Team member, I got on my feet once again and ran. "They're so aggressive on making me lose! What did you do, Hadrian?!"

I have no armor, weapon, or food. Slowly my hunger will deplete and eventually I will die. I could hear the loud footsteps of an angry mob chasing me, but I can't give up now.

"Always check in front of you." Em appeared suddenly, blocking my way.

"Emily, please..." I couldn't run anymore. They had trapped me. What a great turn of events.

"Sorry. We have to do this for our ticket home."

She ended my life with an an axe to the head.

~·~

"You lost."

Those were the first words I heard when I recovered.

"You must keep your promise."

I don't want to hear anymore.

"Remember what you said? And boy, you were indeed, really confident in winning!"

I can't accept the fact that I lost.

"Guess reality isn't what you expect, huh?"

I opened my eyes and found myself laying down on a bed, with my friends beside me. But they weren't happy.

Lukas is depressed.

Ivor is troubled.

Petra was on the brink of breaking down.

I was dying inside.

"I told you...to not...make a deal... with him... why didn't you listen?" Petra mumbled.

"Petra, I-"

"STOP! Stop talking! Do you even know how depressed and angry I am right now?! If you didn't make that stupid deal, you wouldn't be stuck here!"

I got out of my bed. "Please listen..."

"Sacrificing is not an option, Jesse! You mean a lot to us! Especially me! Having you staying here in exchange for our freedom is just wrong! We should do everything together! We're a team! Why won't you understand that..." She trailed off. Then she started crying, and Lukas took her out of the room.

I stared at the ground as Ivor walked towards me.

"She's right, Jesse. Sacrificing is not an option. We would truly stay here with you, rather than going home without you. As long as we have you, our group can shine through any consequences. You must know that as a leader." He consulted.

"...I need to rest."

~·~

The day has come.

Despite the cold weather, the sun was still shining brightly, illuminating the portal's shiny effects.

My friends...The New Order of the Stone, are returning to their homes.

Without me.

Hadrian had me handcuffed just in case I tried to escape. The chain led directly to him, so I basically became a puppy.

Ivor entered first, followed by Lukas, who gave me a small wave.

Lastly, Petra gave a sad glance at me, and disappeared into the portal. I could've sworn she whispered something, but I could hear it.

After they were gone, Hadrian tugged me.

"What shall I do with you?"