Light and Dark Dragons

The light and dark dragons were the first of the Primal Races to fully emerge as true dragons. Believe it or not, these dragons are not enemies, merely opposites. As was mentioned before, dragons do not have a true concept of good and evil. Why would light and dark dragons be any different? Both are celestial like beings, compared to the more earthly elemental Primal Races. They, in terms of raw power are the most powerful of the Primal Races, and are near immortal. Like with air dragons, there are no definite species of light and dark dragons. Instead, their form and power changes at certain times of the day. This is how we shall classify these magnificent creatures.

Light Dragon (Dawn): Light dragons are remarkable in the way they mimic the phoenix, a magical bird said to be reborn in the ashes when they burst into flames and die. At dawn, they are only eggs, but quickly hatch and come out into the real world. They are infants, for all intents and purposes. Their scales are still soft, and are a solid gold in coloration. Light dragons work much like plants in their diet, absorbing sunlight for nutrition. When they emerge from their eggs, light dragons are a clean slate, a new creature. Just as a new day brings new beginnings, so does a light dragon relive its life. They do this throughout they day, everyday, from dawn till dusk.

Dark Dragon (Dusk): Dark dragon life cycles work in the same way a light dragon's does. At dusk, they are reborn as new eggs, and quickly hatch. Dark dragon scales have a surprising color variation, from deep indigo to a royal purple to pitch black. A few even have what looks like stars on them. Dark dragon, as their name suggest, prefer to keep to the shadows, away from light and its sources. These dragons do not eat anything, nor do they drink. The inky blackness is more than enough to sustain them. As with the light dragons, dark dragons relive their lives every night, a fresh slate. Many light and dark dragons have lived countless "lives" but do not remember any save their present one.

Light Dragon (Noon): By noon, light dragons have just reached maturity, and this time of day is when their beauty is most apparent. Brilliant gold with streaks of white and red adorn their scales, with two, four, even six wings. Light dragons are very benevolent and love to bring peace and harmony to humans and animals. They can heal wounds and provide spiritual council to those in need. They range in size from about two feet to up to thirty feet long. Crystal horns and claws are some of their most recognized features. Light dragons can be found all over the world, in cities and forest, meadows and suburbs. The larger specimens can speak, while the smaller ones often chirp like birds. The afternoon hours are when light dragons are at their most powerful, with the sun high over their heads.

 Dark Dragon (Midnight): Dark dragons are the opposite of their light counterparts. Whereas they actively interact with humanity, dark dragons prefer the seclusion of abandoned buildings or dark caves. While not malevolent, exactly, dark dragons aren't the most social or helpful. They can be greedy at times and aggressive, but many are as calm and laid back as a summer's night. Also, dark dragons are surprisingly helplessly romantic, and love moonlit walks and picnics. Often times they will help out a young Romeo trying to win his Juliet. They don't like to be seen, however, and will spoil a date if they're caught. In size they are similar to light dragons. Dark dragons love to lounge around and sleep some of the time, where their spirit is free from their bodies and are able to travel great distances in little time.

Light Dragon (Dusk):  Light dragons at this time of day are now older and more relaxed, content to watch the sunset and give out advice to those needing it. Some believe that it is only at dusk when they are granted a brief recalling of all their past "lives". The colors on their scales take on blue, red, gold, pink, and purple hues, resembling the sunset that will "end" their lives. As the last rays disappear below the horizon, the light dragon curl up in a tight ball, and begin to shrink and change until they become eggs once more. They then lift up into the air, high above the clouds, safe from harm and wait till dawn to begin their lives again.

Dark Dragon (Predawn): There is an old phrase that says, "the night is darkest just before dawn". Well, it must have some truth in it, because it is predawn, and not midnight, that dark dragons are at their most powerful. Dark dragons are at their most secretive at this time of night, retiring deep into their lairs to do as they will. Dark dragons are rarely seen at this time of night, so no one knows if they look similar to their midnight stage or not. Sometimes, however, dark dragons will fly off in the night, viewing the serenity night brings before the dawn pierces the silence. Dark dragons, as well as light dragons, cannot be tamed nor trained to do anything, as they have too much sentience and individuality to be trained like animals. All dark dragons do have the power of speech, from birth till death. Like with light dragons, as dawn's rays stretch out from the horizon, a dark dragon will curl up into a tight ball and turn into an egg, waiting for night to usher in again.

The first light and dark dragons, however, did not experience such metamorphoses. They were always in their "noon" or "predawn" state. No one knows what exactly happened to them as their descendants populated the world. Some believe they went off to live on the sun and moon, and indeed infused themselves with it and became part of those celestial bodies. We may never know for sure.