Chapter 15: Alex

There were two things I was sure of when I woke up. The first was that I was in love with Sam. Totally and completely- though I never really doubted that. The second thing was that the thing I wanted most- right with kissing Sam- was too fall asleep in his arms like that again. I was also sure of something else. Sam was a bit gayer then I originally thought- I mean what 100% straight guy cuddles with their friend? Twice I may add.

     When I wake up I don't want to move, but pull myself out of his arms and get ready for class. After class Sam and I talked. We talked about our family. He has sisters which is interesting to me. My family is just my mom and me- my dad left before I was born- so it's always interesting to hear about families that are bigger then just two people. Sam had so many stories and they were all so interesting. I also realized that either Sam has a fantastic sense of humor or love makes me able to laugh at literally anything.

     I didn't want to end the conversation, but we were both tired and we have class tomorrow. It was our last day of classes before break. I felt a pain remembering that I wouldn't have Damien to go home with me.

"Uh, Sam, are you going home for the break?" I ask timidly.

"Yeah. All is kids are on break at the same time," he says trying to hide a small smile.

"Well... Would you like to come over sometime during break?"

"... Sure. We're friends now aren't we?" He says turning to me "oh! Give me your phone."

"My phone? Why?"

"So I can put my number in it. So you can text me your address and all that," he says holding his hand out.

"Oh. Yeah. Duh," I hand him my phone and pray he doesn't do more then put his contact information in my phone. My last conversation was with my best friend from high school and was just me taking about how I was in love with Sam.

     Sam hands me back my phone and goes back to getting ready for bed. I do the same. Sam leaves to get changed and I decide to do the same. I put on my pajama pants first just in case he came back early- I'm more okay with him seeing my chest or back if he comes back before I'm done. Before I put a shirt on I take out my hearing aids. I yawn, stretch, and reach for my shirt but movement in the corner of my eye makes me jump. I turn to see it's just Sam and take a few deep breaths.

"Sorry," I say to the best of my ability.

It's okay he says. I nod and turn around and pull my shirt on.

     Before getting in bed I sign goodnight to Sam. He tries to copy the sign and I laugh.

"Goodnight, Sam" I say.

Goodnight he says back- I think. It's very hard to read lips. We both go to bed and I fall asleep immediately.

     The last day of classes goes by so slowly I feel like I'm going to go crazy, but eventually I'm back in my dorm getting my bags to take to my mom's car. The funny thing about my mom is that you wouldn't know she was my mom if you saw us. She has short, dark brown hair and is a very loud when she talks- I'm told she's always been that way. She's a full foot shorter then I am and she dresses in mostly light greens, light yellows, and whites. Oh and she drives a huge burgundy minivan even though there isn't much need for it.

     As soon as my mom spots me she starts signing almost frantically about how much she's missed me and normal mother stuff. She's great like that. When the doctors told her I was deaf she learned sign language and taught it to me as I grew up- as well as sending me to school of course. She got me hearing aids for school so I could go to a regular school, but she'd never make me wear them at home. I could take them out all break and not have to worry about anything. It was refreshing to have someone to sign with after being away at school for so long.

     We stand there signing about what I've been doing and how class had been.

It was really good. I'll have to tell you about it when we get home I sign.

I expect you to tell me absolutely everything. Now let's get going. I can't wait until you see what me and Ms. Johnson did with the garden she signs before helping me put my bags in the van and hoping into the driver seat.

      The break was already looking up. I have hopes that it'll only get better.