Chapter 2

Chapter 2 (edited)

Joseph knocked lightly on the door to my bed room. "come in" I yawned. What time was it? I looked at my bed side clock. 2 am? Joseph ran into the room. "Hey buddy what's wrong?" I sat up in the bed as He crawled onto it.

"I had a bad dream" he pouted. "Aww. you're okay now" I whispered. I took the small child in my arms and rocked him back and forth.

My eyebrows came together as I saw a large bruise on his little cheek. "what happened there?" I caressed the darkened skin, gently. Joseph looked around for a moment, like he was trying to see if anyone else looked was listening to our conversation.

"Daddy" he said.

what? how? why? why would anyone hurt a child his age? what kind of sick monsters are my parents? "Joseph, did daddy hit you?" I already knew the answer, I just wanted to clarify it. Joseph nodded slowly.

I took a deep breath. I had to do something. "Joey, I'm going to get us out of here one day." I promised him. He just nodded his head. I closed my eyes and held him close to my chest.

••

I walked into Ms. Gretchen's house. She gave me a warm smile and walked to me. "Hello, dear. nice to see you again" She said. "You too" I smiled.

Again she still wore this old looking brown jacket. Was it that cold in here? No. it was like 80 degrees.

"You may start in the kitchen. and after you finish cleaning, we could have some tea? Only if you want to" Ms. Gretchen smiled.

There is no way I'm passing up her offer.

"I'd like to" I nodded. "wonderful" she said. I walked to the kitchen, hearing Ms. Gretchen mumble some words behind me.

"lovely girl, isn't she?" she paused but then speaks. "Yes, yes. I know" she chuckled. who is she talking to? I'm pretty sure no one else was in that room.

I began working on the dishes first. there aren't that many, really. just about 4 plates, a few cups, and some silver wear. I started the water then cleaned the dishes until I could see my reflection in them. I put the dishes away then worked on the tables. I sprayed windex onto the counter and then wiped it down.

••

"The tea is ready dear" Ms. Gretchen said.

I had just finished cleaning her entire house. it took a while but it was worth it to get this much pay. I walked into the kitchen where Ms. Gretchen stood. She didn't notice me yet, but it sounded like she was talking to someone. I looked around the kitchen, but it was only me and her. Should I speak up?

"I know Harry, goodness you are adorable" She smiled. Harry? who's this 'Harry' person? "Ok, fine. you're not adorable, you're manly" Ms. Gretchen chuckled lightly. I spotted slight movement on her shoulder. What was that? when I look back, it's gone. "Ms. Gretchen?" I said. She turned to me then smiled brightly. "Here's your cup, darling." She smiled.

1 month later

"Valerie, I don't want to go to the babysitter's!" Joseph complained. "I thought you liked the babysitter, Joseph? Anyway, I have work today" I said, taking Joseph out of the car.

For the past month I had been working for Ms. Gretchen. I earned so much money, not enough to live off of but still. With the money, I bought myself a car. not an extravagant car just one that could run.

Ms. Gretchen was a very wonderful old lady. She was so nice. But she was always talking to this 'Harry' person when she thought I was not around. I've never seen the guy. Maybe he was a dead relative and she's just gone crazy? That may be the case but she didn't seem like it. I had no idea.