Hold Me Near You

Floor woke in a cold sweat, breathing hard, sitting up and gripping the sheets. She looked around the room. Tarja was sleeping soundly on her side, her dark hair spread out across the pillow, her hands tucked under her cheek. Floor laid a hand over her ribs, thankful for the repetitive rise and fall that let her know that Tarja was alive and safe. Slowly, she lay down again, keeping her hand on Tarja's body. Tarja sat up and looked down at her.

"Are you alright?" she whispered, taking Floor's hand. Floor nodded. Tarja brushed a few strands of hair away from her wife's face and kissed her forehead. "No, you're not. You're awake in the middle of the night. Why?"

"I...it's nothing," Floor said,closing her eyes. Tarja sighed and lay down next to her.

"Stop lying to me," she ordered. "What happened?"

"I...I had a bad dream," Floor murmured. Tarja stroked her cheek.

"About what?" she asked.

"You. You got hurt...in a car accident...and...I couldn't save you," Floor said softly, tears sliding down her cheeks. Tarja gently wiped them away and kissed her forehead again.

"Shh, Floor, don't cry. It was just a dream," she said reassuringly. "Go back to sleep. I'm here, I've got you." She wrapped her arm around Floor, who clung to her, shaking.

"I don't want to dream again," Floor whispered, shaking her head. "No, no dreams, please no dreams." Tarja kissed her lips.

"Just go to sleep. I'll keep the bad dreams away."