Beneath It All

I slipped through the hallways as though a ghost, only for a fleeting moment in the same spot. I had been getting good at this, blending in as someone not noticed, with my head held down.The steady hum of the students at their lockers filled the space with noise, the constant chatter fading away into the background as I walked through the school. Faces passed me that brought on a wave of recognition, only to melt away when I found the face that I was looking for. "Sarah!" He called out, a smile taking over his face. His hair was a dark chocolate brown in stubby curls. Freckles lined his face, and his light brown eyes were always dancing with laughter. I knew he was cute, but what I loved most about him was his ability to make me laugh. Hardly anybody could do that, anymore. I felt safe, secure, and at home with him. I picked up my pace until I finally reached him, a smile tugging at the corner of my lips. "Hey, Jamie." He placed his hand in mine, and started to pull me along. "Sarah, I swear you're eighty sometimes. And that would make you the oldest girlfriend ever known. And illegal. Go faster!" The word girlfriend sticks in my head, and makes me smile. I would be lost, so impossibly lost without him. "Well, you have to stop talking or your eighty year old girlfriend might have to cut your head off," I reply with the usual amount of snark. But he just laughs and runs off, leaving me to sigh and follow him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I make it through the day without having to stab somebody through the heart with a wooden stake, so that was an alright enough experience for me. But what I didn't know was that my good luck would come to an end in just a few minutes.

As I walk through the door, I sling my bag on the counter. "I'm home!" I holler, just in case someone wants to know. But there never is. Mom works late every night, just so we can keep the small, cramped apartment. So we can keep the mirror in the foyer, caked with mud and grease. So we can eat the same frozen dinner meals we eat every night. I don't blame her, of course, I blame my father. The same one who left when I was 5, that touched me until I cried, the one that left me in this mess. I let out a sigh, trying to hold back memories. I'm interrupted by no other then my mom. "You're home early," I note, flopping on the chair. I would've stared at the TV screen to keep from looking at her, but we didn't own one. "Yeah. But I have to talk to you, Sarah. Sarah Apastalle, look at me!" Her tone is sharp and commanding, and I flinch in surprise. This is the longest conversation we've had in years. "Ok, Mom. Sorry." She lets out a breath and smiles. "I think I've got a deal with a major business. But I need you to secure it, Sarah. This man, Brent Richards, he owns one of the biggest companies. And he has a son." I gasp and stare at her. Every instinct inside me is crying out. "Get that look off your face right now, Sarah Lee Apastalle! This is the only way we can save our lives again. We can finally live! His son Alex is in your grade. It wouldn't hurt for you to talk to him, get to know him. I also need you to stop hanging around that Jamie boy. We can discuss this in the morning," she finishes and walks off to the kitchen.

That was how my life began to fall apart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys! I hope you like my story. It wi get 200x better I promise. and I hope you will vote and comment so I can write more! seriously, can we get 5 votes pleeeaaaseee? Tell me what you think!

-jennaaayyy