chapter seven

(*unedited* and there's probably errors for days because it's late but I got inspired so here it is. also, does anybody else find that gif weirdly attractive or is it just me? just me? okay... enjoy xx)

CHAPTER SEVEN

"HIS NAME IS WOLF and he likes to fancy himself a king," Micah says, resulting in a knowing groan from Harry. Evelyn casts him a glance before Micah continues. "He's always considered himself better than the rest of us. Especially better than Normals."

"So he's kidnapping everyone?" Evelyn guesses. "What's the point?"

"Slaves," Micah suggests with a shrug. "To fit his monarch fantasy. He wants servants, the riches, the loyalty..." Micah grins, then, his fangs flashing and Evelyn can see Max visibly flinch. "But we've got something he's terrified of."

Evelyn frowns in confusion.

Micah points at Harry.

Harry clenches his jaw.

"Why is he so afraid of Harry? You're the one who was once his competition," Evelyn remarks with confusion. She tries to ignore how badly it sounds that the two had been "competing" for Normals.

Micah clarifies her. "I was never in a competition. I never enslaved anyone. Everyone worked efficiently and everyone was decently happy in my camp, thank you very much."

"Get to the point."

"Why don't I let Harry explain himself?"

Harry cringes, his nose scrunching. "We don't get along," he mumbles for an answer.

Evelyn isn't having it. Max closes the door despite the tight quarters with the five of them cramped inside. However, he's smart enough to know that if the rest of his camp hears any of this, he'll be in deep.

"This was back when we were recruits," Harry says, like he's defending himself. "We were just becoming adapted with everything, and the doctor had just introduced us to the idea of one on one combat against each other."

Evelyn says, "You don't have to explain yourself," right when Max and Darrell both murmur, "The doctor?"

Harry ignores all three of them with his eyes on the floor. To his credit, Micah averts his gaze as well, as if he realizes how terrible the memory is.

"Wolf thought he was a hotshot the moment he stepped in the ring," Harry continues, practically whispering now. "Everyone knew I was the doctor's first, but no one really realized what I was really capable of. Including myself."

Harry peeks up warily at Max and Darrell, who stand as close to the door as they can possibly get in case they need a quick escape. "I don't think your brother will want to hear this about me."

"It doesn't matter what he thinks," Evelyn replies, stepping in front of Harry to block his view of Max. "You're not that person anymore, okay? Tell us what happened so we know what we're dealing with."

Harry clears his throat, appearing very uncomfortable, before he speaks again. "There wasn't even a fight. I got... caught up. It was my first fight too, so I was just finding out about all the things I could do. Wolf, he... he barely made it out of the ring still breathing. If it weren't for our healing abilities, he would've died in seconds.

"It didn't stop there, though. Wolf hated me afterwards and wanted revenge. Needless to say, the two of us butted heads a lot... physically and mentally. He lost every time he went against me, each time almost as badly. It wasn't until I met a guy named Gavriel that I started to notice how monstrous I was. I started letting people win against me. I started refusing battles."