Chapter 17

The small cafeteria contains amazing cooks which create even more amazing food. Everyone I have met here is so nice. We finish up the macaroni and cheese we had left on our plates and head outside. I find Nox, Skittles, M&M, and Pip already there under the willow tree. There's small picnic table with some little pies sitting waiting for us. I am already super full but I can smell them from over here. I rush up to the girls who have already eaten half of theirs. I pick one up and a fork. The crust sits perfectly in the little pan and the apple filling is still warm.

"What no ice cream" I tease

"It doesn't need it" Pip says still chewing.

I take a bite and it's amazing. I finish in no time as does Austin. I check my phone and it's 12:15. We head over to the barn. I see the same paint horse from yesterday reminding me of Feather's breed. I shake off the thought of how much I miss them. We walk into the barn it's big and fancy. The stalls are bright and airy with clean walkways. Who knew horses could be so neat. There is a dark brown and white appaloosa in the first stall. Her nameplate says Penny and that's the horse I was assigned. Austin and I take opposite sides of the barn so we can familiarize ourselves with the horse, well that and pet all of them 'cause they're adorable. There is an all black horse with white stockings and a star. I find her name plate and it says Night she is gorgeous and her coat is super shiny. I continue walking down the row. The next stall reads Lily but the stall is empty. I look outside to find the piebald horse still grazing in the paddock . She must be Lily. The next stall contains a tan colored horse it's mane and tail are a grey brown. I look down to find her name plate and engraved in the metal sign reads Jazz. The mare walks to the front of her stall and sticks her head out of the door. I reach out to stroke her forelock but quickly retract my hand. I haven't touched another horse since Feather and Stone. I try again her velvety nose meets my fingertips. I rub her defined cheeks and work my way to her forehead. Her fur there swirls to a point and I trace the circular motion. She starts closing her eyes and her head sways as I pet her. A loud clutter sounds from across the barn. I look back to find Nicole who had just tripped over a water bucket.

"Sorry I just came to get Lily back in the barn." She says as her cheeks blush when Austin helps her up.

"It's fine we were just meeting the horses"

I look back to Jazz who has her ears perked towards Nicole. I move on to the next horse. A tall bulky horse stands in the back corner of his stall. He stares up at me while munching his hay. The rust colored gelding lifts his heads and whinnies to his stablemates. A few reply which I think is super cute.

"That big boy there is King he's a big sweet heart. King is our working horse he likes to pull wagons and big logs for firewood."

"Can you tell me about the rest of the horses."

"Of course, Jazz is the spunky loving one. Lily is sweet, gentle, and quiet. Night likes to show off. Penny is our playful always ready to go kinda girl. Diamond she is well kinda lazy but she loves to be clean. Snow is fearless except for trailers he hates trailers. Cinnamon is our bossy little guy. That leaves us with Cody our only miniature horse but he is so goofy and hilarious to watch."

"Wow they all sound amazing"

"Yep, are y'all ready to get to work now"

"Work?"

"It's a barn there's always chores to do."

"Okay"

"So you can muck out stalls, groom the horses, rebuild the fence out in the grazing field, fill the water buckets, clean the tack........do I need to go on or do you guys know what you want to do"