Prologue "The Dream"

“The year is 5023. The world is barren and desolate. Our lone hero walks across the desert. His body cloaked in rags. The winds howl and whip sand at the hero’s eyes. A long thin figure slung over his back shakes slightly in the wind. The world is dark and dead. The hero travels the land in search of a person, the last practitioner of an art long dead. He searches in hope that this person can remedy the hero’s problem, his braces!”

A boy cries out telling a story.

“And that’s how it would be having braces in the future” The boy explains.

His friend has a skeptical look on his face, “You have the weirdest imagination for an 18 year old, you know that?”

“Aww come on Luke! You know it’s a great story!” The boy groans.

“Sure it’s a great story but it does not make a lick of sense Neps.” Luke explains.

“I told you to stop calling me that! People are starting to think that is my real name!.” The boy exclaimed. “Call me Neptune dammit!”

“But Neps sounds cool doesn’t it?” Luke said sarcastically laughing. “Remind me again why your mom named you that.”

The boy moaned, “She named me Neptune because she gave birth to me at sea. The woman who helped my mom was a psychic and said that I would do great things involving water. So my mom, being gullible, named me after the roman god Neptune. She said it was a powerful ocean name and that it suited me.”

“Your mom is weird man.” Luke said nonchalantly.

Neptune yelled at Luke, “Hey! That’s my mom. Only I am allowed to call her weird.”

Luke turned and raised his hands a little above his shoulders as in a shrugging motion. His voice started to fade as he walked away, “You’re gonna be like super famous you know?” His voice trailing farther and farther, “Like because you’re talented in storytelling. Maybe you’ll be a big time screenwriter or director.” The next words he said were muffled and almost inaudible as the world faded into white.

Suddenly the boy with the thirsty name woke up to the dull grey and smoky sky of his new dry world.