Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

One Bad Birthday

Ever since Tails came out to his best friend about his true feelings, he, too, had denounced his faith like his mother. However, to keep up appearances, both him and Sonic had to continue to go to church every Sunday and pretend like they still agreed with the messages that were forced down their throats. Yet, for the next 2 weeks, Tails and Sonic felt like they had both she their mortal coil and were dancing with angels in heaven.

They had a strong love for each other, often enjoying private nights together. Sonic no longer had to bare the agony of pretending to be with Amy, doing everything that she told him to. Shadow had finally stopped bullying Tails, honestly sickened of what he found out and opted to just avoid the two at all costs. Shadow and Amy had finally given up their stupid quest on trying to take pictures, just focusing on avoiding the pair. Tails and Sonic had become even closer with the rest of their friends, specifically Blaze. Lastly, Tails was finally turning 17 on the weekend and everyone was eagerly awaiting his extravagant party.

"Hey Tails," Silver called out, waving as she closed the distance between the two.

"Oh, hey Silver, what's up?" Tails questioned, beaming a bright smile at the hedgehog.

"I was just wondering… I know that Amy punched you and Sonic dumped her and I know you guys never saw eye to eye with Shadow but I feel kind of bad for them, Y'know," Silver rubbed the back of his neck, trying to shed the anxiety that washed over him.

"Don't tell me you are insinuating that," Tails replied, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

"I think you should invite them on Friday night," he finished, giving Tails his goofy smile.

"No," Tails stated plainly.

"But…" Silver began.

"I don't think it's a good idea," Tails stuck to his morals. He felt bad, dismissing Silver for no reason. He couldn't help but love Silver's oblivious nature but he sure as hell wasn't going to tell the silver hedgehog the truth about why he couldn't invite Amy.

"I think Silver is right," Tikal appeared, chiming into the already underway conversation, standing beside Silver.

"But…"

"Please," the both begged in unison, smiling at the golden fox.

"Okay, fine," Tails gave in, caving under the peer pressure. He was, if nothing else, a people pleaser. Tails always wanted to make sure his friends were happy and although he couldn't tell them the real reason of why those two couldn't be invited, he had to admit that maybe they would lay off a bit more if Tails tried to show them companionship. He needed as many people on his side as possible.

"I'll go tell them the good news," Tikal laughed, skipping off down the hall.

"You did the right thing," Silver smiled, patting Tails on the back before walking off to his next class.

"I sure hope so," Tails sighed to himself, slumping against the lockers.

"It's okay Darling, I'll just go out camping for the night, I trust you kids alone," Tails' mother smiled.

"Mum, you don't have to leave if you don't want…" Tails sighed, feeling bad for asking for his house to himself that night.

"Don't be silly sweetie, I've been meaning to go touch base with nature for a while now and this is the excuse I've been waiting for. Have fun honey," she ruffled his hair before stepping out of the door. "Oh, and don't break anything!"