Chapter 2

I opened the door to my room, closing it and locking it to make sure my 11 year old sister didn't sneak in.  I carefully set the backpack on my bed. As I lifted the incubator out I noticed something strange(if it could get any stranger). The shell was riddled by glowing white lines. Cracks. It was hatching!! I checked the label on the side of the incubator. It was due June 3rd. It was May 11th. This was too early for it to be  born. It needed at least another two weeks.

        I pressed a white button under the lid and with a hiss and click it popped of. Grabbing a pair of gloves from my nightstand, I reached in and carefully lifted the egg up. I set it on the blanket I had scrunched up on my bed, making sure it was tucked comfortably in the middle. That's when it shook as another white crack shot down the shell. Quickly and realizing it was going to get messy(who knows what's in there) I put it in a shoe box instead.

           My room was so cluttered and messy you could probably find anything you needed for the craziest science experiment(like shoe boxes, gloves and giant black eggs).  Another ten minutes  later the egg was glowing as bright as a lamp from all the cracks. What was in there? The sun? Finally, with a last split the top of the egg fell to the floor.

      Holding my breath I inched closer to the box. The sight that hit me left me in shock. I had been expecting something crazy  but hadn't really believed it up until now. For, curled up on the egg was the little body of a foal. Yes, a baby horse. It had a rich brown coat and a shiny black mane fell down its neck like a waterfall. Strangely what seemed like feathers stuck out from the top of the foals head. But what I was looking at were the wings sprouting out of the foal's back. The wings, while very small, were flowing and beautiful with tan-colored feathers. And patterning  the wings were iridescent blue-green spots. Almost like peocock feathers. In place of a horse's normal tail it had the same feathers as its wings, a bird's tail. As I examined the foal something stunned me even more than all it's odd features. It had striking leaf-green eyes. Exactly like mine.

        The little foal was about as big as the shoe box. That was tiny for a horse. It was probably also very weak from its early hatching. I watched as in whinnied and moved around in the shoe box. It was beautiful. I couldn't imagine how the Academy had made this creature but I was already in love with it.  I reached down and stroked its brilliant brown coat. The foal nickered and pushed its snout into my hand. Surprisingly it's coat was smooth and soft, not the least bit wet from hatching. As I looked closer I found out its gender. Her gender.

     She needs a name. As I soaked in her beautiful wings and tail I was almost blinded when a ray of sun shone through the window and reflected of the shimmering spots on her feathers. My entire room was filled with the same blue-green color as her peacock patterns. I knew what to call her. Jewelwing. Jewel for short. That was a perfect name.

         "Hey Jewel. Let's get you out of there." I whispered in what I hoped was a soothing tone. I slowly put my hands under her and lifted her from the box, reassuring her with a soft voice the entire time. I carried her to my bed and set her in the blanket I taken out before she hatched.

            I snuck downstairs and got some baby carrots from the fridge. Going back in my room I found Jewel standing on the floor and slowly flapping her wings. I was awed at how amazing she looked. Snapping back to the present and crouched in front of her and held out a carrot. On shaky legs, she leaned forward and took the carrot out of my hand, not even touching my skin. It was like she had already been trained.

       "I bet you really want to fly.", I remarked as she opened her wings again. Fly!  I jumped, looking around the room. What was that? Fly? That's when I looked down at Jewel. She looked up at me with a hopeful expression.

         "Are you talking? In my head?" I asked, incredulous. What did the Academy put in them? Yes. Are you my friend? Her voice seemed to echo in my mind. What if I could talk to her the same way? I imagined forming the word "yeah" in my mind. Then I directed it to Jewel. Yeah. She fluttered her wings with happiness. As I got closer to her I realized something that dumbfounded me. Jewel  now reached my knees. Before I had gone to get carrots she was only up to my shins. I wasn't surprised though, after all the strange things that had happened.

        Maybe I could ride her now. But how would I get her out without my family seeing? Then I had an idea. With a  sly smile I grabbed the jar that held a spider I had found in my backyard. I ran into my sister's room.

       "What are you doing here!"my sister, Cyra, yelled closing her book. She had the same eyes as mom with short light brown hair.

        "Just releasing this spider into your room!" I said, grinning. I opened the jar and the spider jumped onto her nightstand. What my sister didn't know was that the spider didn't even bite. I snuck out of the room as Cyra yelled and pulled the covers over her head.

I ran down the hall, already hearing my mom asking what's wrong. I got to my room and sprinted in closing the door behind me. Jewel stood there, flicking her feathered tail impatiently. She now reached my waist. Great. Now it would be ten times harder to get out. Good thing my dad was still at work. Okay, lets go. I said in her mind. She bobbed her head and followed me out, her hooves making no noise. We slowly walked down the stairs. I was about to open the backyard door when I heard my mom.

"Ember? Come here right now!!" I looked at Jewel and almost laughed, she was mimicking my expression, eyes wide and mouth partially open. That was when I made my decision. I opened the door and we ran onto our grass covered backyard.

"Ready to fly?" I asked Jewel. I was born ready. I laughed and climbed onto her back.

                                                                                         —————
This one is a bit longer. Hope you guys liked it! Thanks for reading! Also, remember to vote and comment, I would greatly appreciate that. Alright, now onto the third chapter!!😃