Chapter 1- The Reaping

Jades POV-

" Come on Jade, Luna. Time for breakfast." I lift my head up and open my eyes, looking around the small room that I share with my sister, Luna. "Good morning Jade." she says. 'Not a very good morning' I think solemnly. I grab my overalls and head out to do my morning chores. milking the cow feeding the chickens and such.

After all that is done I head back to the house. Breakfast is waiting for me. Milk and toast. "thanks mom." I say. She just smiles at me sadly.

I run upstairs to change out of my comfy overalls. We have to look nice when we might be going to our death. I choose my favourite dress, a short green dress that matches my eyes. After I get dressed, I turn around and see my sister standing there, tears brimming in her brilliantly blue eyes. " Hey." I say. "Don't worry. Your name is only in there once. Its not like your going to be picked. Think how many people there are in our district." She nods. "You look pretty" I say hoping to cheer her up, but she just nods.

"Come on, lets get to the square. We don't want to be late." We head over to the table so we can sign in. When it is my turn I hold out my finger. The peacekeeper pricks it and puts my blood on a slip of paper with my name on it. We file into our age groups, so I head over to the 16 year old section. I look over at the 12 yr. old area and see Luna staring straight forward, slightly shaking with fear.

I will her to be strong.

All of our heads turn to the stage when our mayor stands up. He talks about how the games will remind us of how much they will bring us together. I laugh quietly to myself, 'More like how much we are in our their mercy'. After he finishes our escort, Roselina, steps up to the podium. "Happy hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour. Oh, I forgot. If you are the same gender as the girl or boy reaped, you can volunteer! Alright, ladies first."

She turns and walks towards the big glass ball that has all of the girl names in it. She puts her hand way in. "Please don't be me or Luna." I pray. She pulls out the unlucky name and struts over to the podium, looking as happy as if she got a new capital dress. It disgusts me that they would like to watch kids die. But I guess she is just doing her job. She clears her throat and reads the name of the girl that will be sent to her death.

"Luna Robins."

She stands looking stunned. "NO!" I scream. This can't be happening. She only had on entry! " I volunteer as a tribute!" I shouted. "No!" shouts Luna. "No, I won't let you!" She runs at me but my father grabs her from behind an drags her away. I can see she is crying and I feel like crying too. But I have to be strong.

"I believe we have a volunteer!" The peacekeepers rush down, grab me and drag me up to the stage. "And what is your name dearie?" Rosalina asks. "Jade Robins. I am 16 years old." I say. "Well, I'll bet my buttons that was your sister!" She exclaimed happily. " Yes." I say softly.

Gosh, I can't believe I just did that.

She marches over to the boys ball. She reaches far into it and pulls out a slip and walks back over to the podium. She unfolds the strip and clears her throat. " Cyril Griffin." No. Not him, anyone but him! Oh no. Nononononono! He flips his long black hair and struts up to the podium.Oh, I hope someone else will have to kill him before I do. " Perfect. Now shake hands!" I stare into the brilliantly blue eyes. I grab his hand and feel him give me a comforting squeeze.

"May I present the tributes of district 10!"