Chapter 2: A Book Or Two

"So, um, have you even been a mermaid?" Violet asked, eating her chocolate muffin.

"I was when I was little, but mother prefers us to stay human. Sometimes we turn when we go visit Grandpa," she answered, looking dreamily at her glass of apple juice. "It's a little silly, but I miss those seas."

"Well, you can go back on break. Now, you have deal with us," Maribelle joked.
"Oh, why thank you. Sounds like a pleasure."

Maribelle nudged her and laughed.

"So, you here alone or do you have some evil twin we should know about?" Violet asked, raising an eyebrow. She wasn't serious, was she?

"I do have a twin, yes, but he's not necessarily evil. He's a tad bit rebellious and boisterous, though," Harmony laughed awkwardly. "We don't always get along, but we're always there for each other."

"That seems nice, having a sibling so close to your age," Rose said, finishing off her face. She yawned and gasped. "Oops, I'm in enough trouble already."

The girls eyed her, unsure of what she was referring to. Soon, memories of the recent events flooded their heads as they watched her disregard those napkins they'd given her.

"Rose, it's fine to yawn. You're only human," Evelyn said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "That girl was probably jealous that you get more beauty sleep."

Rose chuckled and shook her head. "Sure, that's what it is."

"Well, I'm sorry to be in such a haste, but I should probably head back," Harmony blurted out, standing up. "My brother probably wants to speak with me." She began to walk away, leaving the other girls to their own lives.

"Excuse me, ladies," a low voice said. "Would you have any idea where my sister went?" The boy who asked was quite attractive. He had short, wavy black hair, dazzling blue eyes, and a smile that looked like it was powered by the sun.

"You mean Harmony?" Maribelle asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, no. I haven't a clue as to who that is. I'm looking for Genevieve, my sister," he replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm Gavon, by the way."

"Nice to meet you, Gavon," Faith greeted warmly. They shook hands and smiled at one another.

"Please, if you see her, inform me of her whereabouts," he pleaded. All the girls just nodded in response. "Anyway, what are your names?"

"I'm Faith."
"I'm Maribelle."
"Evelyn."
"Rose."
"And that makes me Violet."

"Violet, like Maleficent's daughter? That's cool," Gavin smirked, walking closer. "Guess I better not get on your bad side, huh?"

"Yep, so please, don't get too close," Violet cringed, huddling closer to Evelyn. She was a little fearful around guys; she's never been in a relationship.

"Don't worry, doll. I don't bite," Gavon said, getting closer. Faith frowned and began to say something, but was cut off.

"Yes, you do. Please leave her be, Gavon," a girl said. She had brown hair, green eyes, rosy cheeks, and she wore a pink dress. She was extremely pretty and she also wore spectacles. "We don't need anymore broken hearts out of you."

"Hazel, I'm not doing anything," Gavon whined, but backed away.

"On the contrary, I believe you are. You're scaring that poor maiden," Hazel retorted, crossing her arms. She then pointed her attention to the five girls.

"I'm sorry for my companion's poor behavior. He's bred from a womanizer," she frowned. "He doesn't really know how to fairly treat a lady, though I'm sure he's learning." Her voice hinted with traces of sarcasm, but she wasn't mean. "He's generally very kind, much unlike others whom he associates with."