The Bigger Pup

"Millie, I'm so proud of you." Wolves frantically waited outside of the Chi Den. The Theta padded out of the den. "Samuel, is Millie okay?" a female wolf asked. "She is doing great, go see her, Ruby." Ruby, Millie's mother, gleefully went into the Chi Den. "Millie, how many pups are there?" Before Millie could waste her precious breath on an answer, her mate, Otis, spoke for her. "Three." Ruby and Otis watched the three pups. A black pup and two white pups. "They're so beautiful, Millie," her mate said softly. Samuel went into the den. "Is everything okay?" Millie nodded and Samuel left. "What are their names?" Ruby woofed gently. "Well, you could help." Millie pointed her muzzle a small, white pup. "This is Oakley." She thrusted her muzzle towards the other white pup. He was an average size, his tail longer than the other two. "Otis, what is his name?" Otis grinned. "Owl." Owl made a little bark of agreement. "Oh, and what is her name?" Millie looked at a bigger, darker pup. Ruby looked at the pup. Do I have to name this one? Ruby had thought in her mind. "Dontia," she spat. Millie was surprised by her tone of voice, but nodded. "Oakley. Owl. Dontia." Dontia wriggled, edging away from her family. "Come back here, you!" Ruby scooped up Dontia and placed her next to her brothers.

"Dontia, get off me!" Owl shoved his sister away from him. "I'll tell mom!" Dontia giggled. "She's playing with Oakley." "Well, then, I'll tell dad!" "Dad is searching for rabbit dens," Dontia woofed. "I'll tell Ruby!" Dontia whimpered, lowering her tail. "Fine, I'll stop." Did Owl know about how Ruby scared her so much? Every night, she took her out to the ocean. "Pups, time for bed!" her mother called. "Let's go, Owl." The two wolf pups scrambled to their mother. Dontia closed her eyes as she snuggled up next to her mother, letting sleep consume her.
"Dontia, wake up." Paws nudged her side. "Ruby?" "Come on." Dontia feared for herself as she followed the dark gray shadow in the night. They padded out of camp, making no noise in the darkeness. Sand tickled Dontia's paws. The harsh training began. "Let's focus on agility." Instantly, Dontia was pinned down by Ruby. She wriggled out of her grip, jumping onto Ruby's shoulders. The pup dug her claws into her grandmother's flesh. Ruby couldn't shake her off.
The training continued until the sun almost rose over the trees, and they returned to camp. Scratches marked Dontia's body.