Chapter 1

Let me start by saying this, people have not been kind to me. They have used me, abandoned me, and worse. There are some people who seem to have tried their best to hurt me, and I'm sorry to say that they succeeded. Two in particular, including this guy I met in a bar, are the people I hate. They are the ones that have made me cry, scream, and feel absolutely lost. They are the ones who have made me feel like giving up on life. And there is one person who has kept me going at my worst. This story began the night I met the guy in the bar.

The bell rang and everybody stood up, grabbed their stuff, and fled the classroom. They were all rushing to meet their friends, talk, laugh, whatever. Slowly I got up out of my desk and made my way to my locker. I was in no hurry. I had no friends to meet. After dumping my books, I took my lunch to the cafeteria. I glanced around and found a nice little empty table in the corner. I sat alone and stared off into space while I ate. Now this may sound sad and lonely, but I liked not having to deal with anyone. I was enjoying my solitude when Rachel and Georgia walked up to me with a couple of other girls.

"Hey" Rachel said, only a little shy. She and I used to be friends, Georgia too, but we sort of grew apart.

"Hi" I answered flatly, not knowing why they had come over.

"We were just wondering, since we're going out tonight, if you wanna come with?"

"We don't really get to see you much anymore and we thought it'd be fun." Georgia added.

"I.. don't know. I might, but um, I'm not sure I can." I admit it, I was stunned. As I said, we weren't friends anymore, and Rachel and Georgia... Well they were kind of popular. They weren't exactly with the 'in crowd', but they were certainly more liked than I was. After I'd become a loner, people had started to sort of harass me. I guess they didn't want to take on a whole group; you know, target the weak. Anyway, it was odd for me to be invited to do anything with anyone, except those stupid boys who always asked if I wanted to hook up with them.

"Come on, Dani, it'll be like old times" Georgia pleaded. She seemed genuine, they both did.

I was still unsure. I never went out anymore. What would be the consequences if I did?

When it was apparent I wasn't likely to answer any time soon (or at least not the answer she was looking for), Rachel pulled out a pen and scribbled something on a scrap piece of paper. "Here," she said as she handed the paper to me, "if you decide you do want to come, call me."

"Okay" I said quietly, looking at her number. How many times had I called her in the past?

"See ya!"

"Later!"

"Bye" I half whispered as they walked away. Should I go? I remembered all of the good memories we had together. A smile actually almost crossed my face, but then reality reminded me that I couldn't. No, I won't go. Instead I'll have to go... home.