The Beginning {Part 3}

Kurenai knew the moment that I walked into the hallway, Shikamaru having stayed back to talk to the coroner.

Her hand flew up to barely muffle a gasp of pain and shock, and I awkwardly placed a hand on her shoulder, unsure of how to comfort her.

Shikamaru came out holding a box, and I recognized the items inside as having belonged to Asuma. A trench knife with a few drops of blood, a box of cigarettes, matches, a black and white picture of Kurenai, all staring right at me, seeming to make this whole thing that much more real.

"I've asked to be put on the case," he said quietly. "I know that I won't be able to sleep until it's been solved. And frankly," he lowered his voice even more, "I don't trust anyone else here to do Asuma justice."

"If there's anything you need for your investigation, don't hesitate to let me know," I replied sincerely. I didn't think that I'd be able to sleep much either.

"That tea sounds good right about now, Kakashi," Kurenai swayed a little under the pressure of trying to keep her grief hidden while in public.

"Of course."

She trembled the entire way back, and once we arrived at our apartment complex, Kurenai quietly told me that she'd prefer to be alone for a while. I understood. She was too strong to cry in front of other people; I left so that she could let it all out. I laid in bed that night without sleeping, the sounds of her sobbing until dawn drifting through the thin walls.

The sound reminded me of Obito's grandmother as I told her the news. She'd died shortly afterwards of grief. Just another death that I'd caused.

The next few days passed in limbo, Shikamaru occasionally coming by, but only bringing the news that nothing had progressed so far in the case. I spent much of my time with Kurenai in the small sitting area where I used to play shogi with Asuma. Her father had died years ago, and her mother lived in the Land of Waterfalls with her family, too far away to afford a visit. I know that I'm horrible company and unable to effectively comfort people, but I couldn't bear to think that she would be alone through this. My company was at least better than nothing.

A week after the murder, I was sitting alone in my apartment and playing my violin, a slow and morose tune, as Kurenai had asked to be left alone for a while. I heard someone knock on her door, but didn't pay it much mind. Many of her friends from work had been coming by, bringing food and sympathy. But then, my brow started to furrow and playing slow as I heard the voices start to become raised. I stopped altogether, however, as soon as I heard my name.

It was Kurenai's voice, shrill and angry, "How could you even say such a thing about Kakashi?"

Shikamaru's voice responded, all of the usual laziness gone. "I'm just being rational, Kurenai. I looked up his file; do you know who he is? It seems like too much of a coincidence for an assassin to move in next door and suddenly have Asuma die two months later with the killer not even leaving a trace! It's my job to follow every suspect and every lead."

"He's not a murderer, Shikamaru. Do you know what he's sacrificed for this country?"

"Yeah, I do, actually. All of the stuff that isn't too heavily classified, at least. You have no idea how dangerous that man is."

"You just read a file. You don't actually know what kind of man he is."

My heart swelled at Kurenai's words, though I felt that I didn't deserve her defense.

"I'll come back tomorrow when you're more willing to be reasonable."

I heard the sounds of the door being opened, and before I knew what I was doing, I was standing in my doorway, looking at a frozen Shikamaru in the middle of the hall. Kurenai was visible standing in her own door, and I noticed that her eyes were red and puffy.