» Chapter Six «

The moon of Wasppaw and Kestrelpaw being confined to camp has ended

The moon of Wasppaw and Kestrelpaw being confined to camp has ended. Today, they would finally start warrior training again.

      Kestrelpaw padded out of the apprentice's den, excited to be able to run through the forest again. She stretched her legs; she couldn't wait to feel freedom again.

      Although, the camp didn't match her mood. It was gloomy and silent. Beetlestar, Briarwing, and Cherrypaw were bent down by Milkleaf's body. The medicine cat had died when an old, dying tree fell on top of her while she was out gathering herbs. The clan was heartbroken that their wise medicine cat was gone. Kestrelpaw hadn't known Milkleaf that well, but she too felt a pang knowing she was gone. Her apprentice, Cherrypaw, would have to take charge of being a full medicine cat early.

      Luckily, Milkleaf managed to help deliver Bumbleheart's kits before she died. The clan now had three new additions: Lionkit, Breezekit, and Cedarkit.

      Wasppaw padded up next to Kestrelpaw with a grin on his face. Over the last moon Kestrelpaw and Wasppaw had grown close. They had pressed muzzles together under the moonlight when no one had been looking. Now every time she saw him her heart would beat with happiness.

      "Ready?" he asked.

      "Ready," Kestrelpaw replied. She was ready to start training again.

--

Together they padded through the forest after their mentors. Today they would be battle training. Wasppaw had bounced with joy when he heard that.

      "Today all the apprentices will be training together," said Amberheart. She gestured to the two other apprentices, Violetpaw and Hawkpaw. The two were apprentices for a while before Rainpaw, Kestrelpaw, and Wasppaw. They already had a lot more battle training. Nevertheless, Kestrelpaw felt ready to train with them.

      Rainpaw had practiced fighting before too, since he hadn't been confined to camp for an entire moon. Kestrelpaw wanted to show that she was a better fighter than him even with less experience.

      "I want the three of you to watch Violetpaw and Hawkpaw before we start," said Amberheart. "Watch their form and skills."

      Next to her, Wasppaw dug his claws into the ground, either with impatience or excitement. Maybe both.

      Amberheart turned to Violetpaw and Hawkpaw. "Demonstrate," she said with a nod.

      Immediately, the two pounced on eachother. For a second Hawkpaw was on top of Violetpaw, digging his sheathed paws into her, pretending they were unsheathed. Suddenly, Violetpaw kicked her hind legs up into his stomach, throwing him off.

      Hawkpaw darted back after her, but Violetpaw was already ready and swiped her paw across his face. Using the second she had gained, Violetpaw leaped on top of him and pinned him down. She spread herself out, holding one paw on his chest, one paw on his stomach, and two paws to hold his legs down so he couldn't get up. In a real battle, she could easily bite down on his neck from where she stood.