Chapter 33: We're Late

Natsumi POV:
I dash through the halls of this huge cube. This is Tartaros... I can't believe it.

"Natsumi! Wait!" I hear Neptune but I can't bring myself to slow down. Members of Fairy Tail are likely here. I have to find them!

Just as Neptune grabs me, attempting to make me stop, the ground starts to shake and I lose my balance.

No. This can't be happening.

The cube is crumbling just like Fairy Tail did. It's turning to rubble, it slowly suffers the same fate as my guild.

I suddenly see something outside and I don't believe my eyes.

"It's... It's-That's-" I stammer.
"Dad..." I murmur in shock.
Neptune quickly looks up and we stare in awe.

"He's alive?" I ask slowly.

"We should probably go check it out, don't you think?" Neptune asks slowly.
I nod and begin to run while she flies. I don't go as fast as I was going earlier because I'm scared of what I might find... And yet I want to run as fast as I can. As this thought creeps into my mind I begin to sprint.

It's dad!!

As I make my way outside, I see everyone from the guild and a burst of joy jolts through my body.

They're all alive! Dads here too!

But my joy is short-lived because I soon realize that Natsu and Gray are fighting... Over the book of E.N.D... And Acnologia is fighting my dad...

As I realize Acnologia is here  my hopes slowly disappear but I attempt to cling to them. I can't be hopeless. Dad can win, I know he can!

From a distance where no one has noticed yet... I see Zeref slowly make an appearance, teleporting the book from Gray's hands into his own.

"No..." I say to myself.

He can't be here... What is he gonna do?
I slowly collapse to my knees.
What do I do?

I watch as Natsu gives Zeref a piercing yet shocked look.

Zeref snaps his fingers and a man dressed in black disappears. He must have been one of his demons.

Natsu is greeted by a soft smile from our brother but his eyes turn red and now he's trying to piss him off.

Dammit. Why can't they just get along.

It's a pointless thought though Natsu doesn't even acknowledge Zeref as his brother...

Slowly, Zeref turns around and walks away. There is a gust of wind and then he's gone. I look back at Natsu who begins to run towards Igneel and without thinking I'm doing the same.

"Don't worry Natsumi. I'll carry you!" Neptune yells.

Just as she's about to wrap her tail around me, dad rips off one of Acnologia's arms and my hope is restored... But a split second later... A chunk is ripped from fathers body and he begins to fall.

"No... I was too late..." I murmur. I just sit there slumped in my spot, unable to move.

Natsumi,
There's a voice in my head and I instantly recognize it as my fathers.
You'll be okay, I promise. Stay on the ground where it's safe. You will not die just because of me. Please... Watch over your brother. My sweet daughter... Be strong. Stay kind, don't let my death define you. I'll always be in your heart, I promise. You mustn't forget your mother... The Phoenix, okay? She is inside of you as well, protecting you, just as I will be. Don't fret, I love you. Goodbye.

Tears roll down my cheeks and I lose sight of myself.

"DAD!!!" I shout as loud as I can.

I get up and start to run towards him but trip. Everybody from the guild has noticed me now and they're shocked that I'm here. I don't care though! I have to get to him! They look at Natsu and I the same.

I run to dad while he falls from the sky. Natsu gets there first but when he sees me collapse next to him, tears streaming from my eyes like never before, he pulls me into a hug.

"He c-can't really b-be gone... Can he?" I ask as tears stream furiously.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" he repeats over and over again.

"It's not your fault Natsu. It's more my fault. If I wasn't sitting there so stunned at my surroundings... If I actually got up and did something... Maybe dad would still be-" my eyes become droopy because of all the tears and my head begins to ache. Natsu holds me tighter and interrupts me.

"It's not your fault and..." I cling to him while he speaks and he trails off.

It's hard for either of us to speak after such a loss... So we sit there... Silent.

After sitting there for about half an hour, I speak up.

"Natsu... We just got him back and now he's gone again. What do we do now?"
The tears become to much to bear and now I'm sobbing. I lift my hand to try and wipe away the tears but I've never felt so weak before. I allow myself to fall into Natsu's chest while he holds me tight and strokes my hair like he did when I had a nightmare when we were children.

"It's gonna be okay" he says slowly.

The sun is rising and with it, our fathers body. It slowly turns to sparkles and I'm at a loss for words.

"Dad..." Natsu and I mutter at the same time.

I try to grab the tiny sparkles but they go through my hand.

"Don't go..."

"My children don't be afraid." Our father goes on to say more but now I'm on the ground feeling absolutely hopeless.

I'm gonna miss him so much...

Neptune and Happy keep a bit of distance to give us some space.

"Goodbye." He says for the last time before completely disappearing.

How... How am I supposed to let go of someone so precious to me?

Natsu and I are crying again and I think he needs me just as much as I need him...