#12

Rory's POV

"Delivery!" I chime as I approach Harry's locker with his freshly washed, navy blue sweatshirt outstretched in my hands. Shutting his locker, Harry greets me with a wide grin, that immediately flatters at the sight of the neatly folded lacrosse sweatshirt. "Thank you for letting me borrow it. Again, for the third time."

"You don't have to keep washing every time you wear it." Harry insists. "You're not a laundry service. Plus, it's not like you have cooties or something." He adds, referencing back to the first time he lent this sweatshirt to me. Brody stood me up, and after nearly being frozen to death wiating for Brody, Harry selflessly loaned me his sweatshirt, despite barely knowing me. Back then to Harry I was just the quiet girl Brody picked on, but now we're friends.

"Do you want to keep it a bit longer? I wouldn't mind." Harry offers. I immediately want to say yes, but Brody's girlfriend shouldn't be wearing other guys' things. Though, I love this sweatshirt. It's as if I'm always being hugged by my friend. I don't just feel warm when I wear it, I feel safe, I feel less lonely, I feel significant when I'm tucked away in it.

"Thanks, but it's yours. I wouldn't feel right about keeping it all to myself."

"It's here if you need it, or want it." Harry mutters, stuffing it inside his gym bag. I feel a bit sad watching the zipper seal it away. I'll miss that sweatshirt.

"What are you doing after school?" Harry asks me. I love having Harry in my life. I love having someone to talk to in between classes, and eating lunch with. I don't know what I did to have such a caring friend, but I thank whoever sent him my way.

"Hanging up Brody's homecoming posters all over the school."

"You're joking, right?" Harry groans. He pinches the space between his eyebrows at the shake of my head. "No, Rory. No."

"No?"

"No. Brody should be doing his own dirty work. Not you."

"But I'm his girlfriend."

"As you keep reminding me." Harry rolls his brown eyes. "You're not his errand girl, Rory. You don't have to do everything he tells you do to do. So, I'm taking you to do something fun instead."

"Don't you have practice, Harry?"

"I can blow it off for just today." He shrugs off.

"But Harry, you don't hav-"

"This is what friends do for each other." Harry insists, fishing out his car keys. "Come on, I have something great in mind."

------

"Two tickets please." Harry inquires in that deep voice of his. Pulling out my wallet, I start to dig for my money, but once Harry sees it, pushes it aside.

"But-"

"You'll pay for me next time." Harry waves off, grinning mischievously as if he plans to never let me pay.

"What are we watching, Harry?"

"A horror." His mimics Dracula, flourishing a cape around him that isn't actually there. I beam up at him, suddenly excited for a good suspenseful fright. It's ironic how much a scary movie cheers me up. "I don't know about you, but I can't watch a movie without green gummy bears, and popcorn."

"Don't pay me for me, Harry. I got this."

"Next time you'll pay, Rory." Harry waves off. Oh, I'll make sure I will. Following Harry to the very last movie theater, I gasp at the completely empty theater.

"It's always more fun going to the movies during the day. No one ever shows up. It's like having the entire place to yourself." Harry grins down at me over the tub of the popcorn.

"Where should we sit?" I marvel at all the empty rows of cushioned seats. Which two should we choose?

"Wherever you want." Harry offers. Shooting him a grin, I take off for the seats dead center.

"Nice choice." Harry plops down besides me, and kicks his feet up on the seat in front of him.

"You were right Harry, this is so much more fun than putting up posters." I earn a big satisfied, bashful grin from Harry. Eagerly ripping open a bag of gummy bears, I hold it out for Harry, offering our favorite.

"Green gummy bear?"