Chapter 4

{Sherlock's pov}

I scanned the street for the mysterious Irene Adler. It was too late. She was gone. I decided to head back to Baker Street and phone Mycroft to see if he knew anything. The Woman was supposed in America, not here. She should be anywhere but here.

Most people were crowding in restaurants eating, so the sidewalks were much less busy, and I was able to hail a cab. The drive back was an odd one for me. I tried to focus on The Woman. Why was she here? What does she want? Is she working with someone? The questions weighed on my mind, but something else was distracting me. Molly Hooper.

I had never realized how much I enjoyed her company, and her deducting skills were very impressive. Maybe she's not as much of a goldfish as most people. It seems I may have underestimated her.

The cabbie pulled to a stop in front of Baker Street. Mrs. Hudson stood outside, obviously waiting for me.

"Oh what now Mrs. Hudson?" I asked, feeling very annoyed

"There's someone here to see you, Sherlock. Kick him out when you're done." She exited into her Caffè.

I raised an eyebrow at her comment. Why did she want to kick John out? I made my way quickly up the stairs. This needed to be quick.

{Mycroft's pov}

My brother came hurrying up the stairs. I know he thought I was John, I made sure of it. He wouldn't talk to me otherwise. Without bothering to look at me, my brother began to speak.

"Come to your senses have you John?" My brother asked.

"Actually Sherlock, John is still very angry about your attempt."

"Mycroft."

"Hello brother. Sorry to invade, but we have something we need to discuss."

"Indeed we do." Sherlock turned to face me, "The Woman. Why is she here Mycroft?"

I chuckled lightly, "Sherlock, if I knew I would tell you. All evidence says she never left America, but we both know that's not true. I need you to see what she's up to."

Sherlock was obviously not interested in my offer.

"Why? Can't you do it yourself?"

"I have more important business to attend to. Apparently a pair of jewel thieves managed to smuggle in some pink pearls from Japan, not that it would be of any intrest to you. Thank you, dear brother. You will be of much help."

I lifted myself from my chair, and left Sherlock alone with his thoughts.