Chapter 404 - Instinct, temptations, self discipline

Fire Palace.

Facing the treasure in the Fire Palace, the enormous 'Earth Fire Magic Sphere' that was so big that ordinary men wouldn't be able to wrap their arms around it, the Spirit of Earth Fire's first instinct was to absorb the Fire Ability inside.

It was due to the presence of the Earth Fire Magic Sphere that two King-ranked Guardians could be born in the Fire Palace.

It was also the reason why there were so many fire monsters here, and why the Fire Demons born here were much stronger.

All these stemmed from the powers of the Earth Fire Magic Sphere. If the Spirit of Earth Fire could absorb all of its Fire Ability, she could level up by a whole new rank, or even higher. The Spirit of Earth Fire that lacked intelligence and acted solely out of instinct was facing a challenge. This challenge was secretly put in place by Yue Yang, who discovered the treasures in the Fire Palace but did not keep them like he would normally. Yue Yang left the Fire Palace even before the battle ended as if he had never seen the treasures... After the battle ended, Hui Tai Lang devoured the Magic Crystal of the Purgatory Flame King before the Spirit of Earth Fire could, leaving her with very little Fire Ability to absorb. Thus, this caused her to feel disadvantaged with her limited intelligence.

Hence, right now, when she found the treasure of the Fire Palace – Earth Fire Magic Sphere, her instinct was to devour it immediately.

But Hui Tai Lang wouldn't do so.

It knew that absorbing treasures recklessly without the permission of its master was a taboo, and that its master hated it the most.

Yue Yang had allowed Hui Tai Lang to compete with the Spirit of Earth Fire for the Magic Crystals of the Purgatory Flame King as a reward of the battle. The rule was simple, each of them would absorb the strength of one of the two King-ranked opponents they were facing together!

However, with regards to treasures, Hui Tai Lang would seek for the permission of its master before it devour those treasures, even if it was something that could help it level up... Otherwise, Yue Yang would definitely be angry! Hui Tai Lang was more intelligent and had higher self-discipline, hence it tried to communicate with the Spirit of Earth Fire who was absorbing the Fire Ability, in various animal languages like wolf howling, cat meowing, dog barking and dragon roaring.

"..." The Spirit of Earth Fire could neither speak, nor could she understand what Hui Tai Lang was talking about.

But she was able to comprehend the meaning behind Hui Tai Lang's words vaguely.

Hui Tai Lang was trying to say that the Earth Fire Magic Sphere cannot be absorbed!

She couldn't understand why because she did not have sufficient intelligence for that. All she could do was to succumb to her inherent instinct because to her, the Earth Fire Magic Sphere was like sweet candies to a child.

This was Yue Yang's challenge to her.

A challenge to test her on her intelligence and self discipline.

Human possessed both IQ and EQ. IQ determined whether a person is smart or not, the higher the better; EQ determined a person's fate and career path, because the most difficult thing about it was self discipline. If one had low EQ with little self discipline, then he might be led wayward if he had a high IQ. For example, some intelligent people who were academically sound would commit suicide after encountering a failed relationship; some others holding high positions made regrettable decisions due to the temptations of power and money, and in the end, they became lost and sunk even deeper.