3

I hate this. I hate not being able to move, not being able to talk. I hate not being able to tell everyone how much they mean to me.

My thoughts are interrupted by approaching footsteps. "Reese, I'm back." Dylan's smooth, soft voice, is automatically soothing. "I came as soon as I could." Today was probably a school day. I hate that I have no sense of time. "I love you. I'm sorry I couldn't come yesterday." He takes my hand and gives it a squeeze, and I wish I could return it. "They found the letter in your pocket," he says and I hear a paper scrunching noise. "I don't want to read it yet. I'm so sorry I did this to you." Stop apologizing. "I need you here with me, Reese. I love you so much. Macy needs you. Everyone needs you, even your next door neighbor." He chuckled slightly.

My neighbor was old man Jenkins. He was cranky all the time, but every Thanksgiving I would bring him over a batch of peanut butter fudge. He'd say it was the highlight of his year and I don't doubt it. I make great fudge.

"I remember when we first met," he said and I could feel him resting his head next to my waist on the bed. If I ever wake up, I'll have major back problems after laying here. "Neither one of us knew what we were getting ourselves into."

I laid on my stomach on top of my towel at the community pool, gawking at the new lifeguard through my large, round sunglasses.  He had looked over at me a couple times and even smiled once. He was hot, no doubt. He had just moved in down the road from Macy, and she told me his name was Dylan.

My phone buzzed next to me, and it was a text from my mom telling my to come home. I got up, folded my towel, and went to the changing room behind the lifeguard stand. I felt Dylan's eyes as they followed me as I went back there to change into my dry clothes. The pool closed ten minutes later, so I sat out in the parking lot, leaned on my car, and waited for him. I texted my mom to tell her I was going to stop at Macy's for a little bit, and even told Macy that she was my backup plan. It worked out pretty well. I slid my sunglasses up my face until they were resting on my head as I saw him coming towards the gate.

"What are you still doing here, bright eyes?" Dylan asked sweetly as he locked the gate behind him.

"Waiting for you, eye-candy," I answered flirtatiously, and propped myself up on the hood of my car with my elbows. This was probably the ballsiest I'd ever been with a guy, and it's probably because I had nothing to lose at that point.

"You're cute," he said, leaning next to me against my car, and propped himself up on one elbow.

"Thanks, I try," I said sarcastically, and flipped my hair over my shoulder. We both giggled slightly.

"Wanna hang out some time?" He asked straight away. He had this look of determination in his eyes, and I'm sure mine displayed the same.

"Now sounds pretty good," I said, not breaking eye contact. The electricity between us was undeniable. You could cut the tension between us with a hot butter knife.

"My place or yours?" He asked, giving me a grin.

"Well my parents are home, so yours." I winked at him and opened the door to my car. "You want me to follow you or you can give me the address?" It seemed like an awkward thing to say at the time, but there was still a flirty aspect in the air.

"Normally I just walk since it's right down the road." He pointed towards the road where Macy lives. It's literally across the street.

"Hop in, you can lead the way." I gave him a slight smile and he opened the passenger door, climbing in, and we pulled off. "I'm Reese," I said, introducing myself properly since the only thing we really did was flirt.