Chapter 13

We walked through the park to the bad side of New York, the part where I lived.  I would never had chosen to live here but it's all my mom could afford, if it wasn't for the amount of alcohol she drunk we'd probably be in somewhere much better but I couldn't complain, at least I had a roof over my head.

As we reached my building I could see in Lucas's face that he was getting quite scared. There were homeless people on the streets and graffiti all over the walls where we you went. He'd obviously never been to areas like this and just stayed where his home and the school was. I held his hand to assure him everything was okay.

M- "don't be worried, I've lived here my whole life"

L- "I'm not worried, it's just different no different is good"

M- "you won't be saying that later"

L- "what do you mean?"

M- "my place is not like yours so please don't make fun of me"

L- 'I would never, it's not like you live in this neighbourhood"

M- "well we are right outside my building, we live on the top floor"

He realised why I didn't think he'd like it. It was old building so there was no elevator just stairs. We started to climb the fifteen sets of stairs which was quite tiring but we made it eventually. My apartment door was wide open which wasn't a surprise for me, mom had probably passed out drunk and forgotten to close it. I couldn't see her so assumed she had gone to work at the diner or the cafe, I rarely saw her anymore so I never knew where she was.

M- "so this is my home, we are currently in the living room and kitchen over there are the two bedrooms. That is all."

L- "I thought you had the entire top floor"

M- "no just a quarter of it, we couldn't afford that, we struggle to pay for this place"

L- "oh I'm sorry"

M- "don't be it's enough for me and my mom, mainly just me"

We went into my bedroom and put his clothes away, wherever we went Lucas looked around as if he'd never such as place. I mean it wasn't that bad but it was clearly nothing compared to his luxury penthouse. This is why I didn't want him to see where I lived.