T W O

Location: Syria, West Asia

"Have you checked the plan?"

"Checked and re checked."

"What about the backup plan?"

"We have a backup for the backup ready too."

"Good then. You'll be travelling to your destination tomorrow. Your passports and tickets are waiting for you back home."

"Thank you for your support, shaqiq.

" Don't ever forget our cause, my brother. We cannot afford to fail."

"We will not fail. May God be with us."

***

"Go on. Lead the school in the assembly, boss!." Chris said, a huge smile stuck on his face. It was Daniel's first day as the student president. He was supposed to release the Student Council Manifesto today. They had it all planned out yesterday and his fellow council members were absolutely delighted. It was today they could showcase what they could do and what they were capable of to their fellow students.

"Now, we have our student president here to release this year's student council's Manifesto." The principal welcomed Daniel onto the stage. Daniel walked over to the mic and cleared his throat.

"It's a big day for all of us, fellow students. Today is the day when the student council proudly presents Its Manifesto for this year. No organisation or a group can be successful without a particular set of goals. And our council isn't anything different. Firstly, we would set up a new department which would deal specifically with the student grievances." Daniel went on for another half an hour with his speech. He introduced various reforms within the council and opened up new posts. He also announced various schemes for the benefit of the students. "The Manifesto would be open to suggestions and constructive criticism for a period of 15 days. I hope that we, together, can make progress in the school." He finally completed. The Deputy Student President came in to give a vote of thanks and the assembly finally concluded.

9:35 A.M.

Daniel received a lot of praise from the students. He was swarmed with students from all sides congratulating him and thanking him for all the reforms he had done and the achievements he had already achieved. "Dude, you were just awesome on stage." Emma said, as he bumped into her while walking back to his class room. "Three cheers for Daniel!" Someone from the back shouted. Rachel Hawks, The Deputy Student President suddenly came rushing to him and informed that the principal wanted him to be in his cabin in two minutes. "What happened?" Daniel asked her. "You know our principal, he just comes to the point. And I didn't like irritating him the first day of my duty. So it would be better if you go to the principal yourself and get your doubts clarified. And just to make it clear, I am never going to risk anything for you. I am not your assistant." She replied, poking her finger into his chest and took a long breath after she was done with it. "Is that it or you want to give me another speech?" Daniel asked her, grinning. She let out an exasperated sigh and walked in the other direction.

9:45 A.M.

Daniel rushed over to the principal's cabin. Everybody was scared to death of the principal. They used to have an easy going and a friendly principal till a year ago, but everything changed when she was hospitalized last year after a major accident. From then, the students had to make do with the principal they had now.

"Congratulations, again." He said, as soon as Daniel entered his office. The principal instructed him to take a seat and Daniel obeyed. "What kind of support are you looking from the school?" The principal asked Daniel, coming straight to the point as usual. "Well sir..." Daniel started, showing to the principal the first draft of the list of things they needed from the school prepared by the council yesterday. The principal just pushed aside the paper and looked at Daniel straight in the eye. "I don't want you to show me some lists and notes you people prepared. Talk to me." He replied. "Well.. um.." Daniel stuttered. He didn't come prepared for this kind of pressure. "Listen properly, whatever small things you need, I can get them done for you. But the reforms you were talking about, they are rubbish. It's not possible." He said, his eyebrows almost touching each other. "But sir.." Daniel tried to protest. "That's it for today. Go back to your class. I don't want you to miss them." The principal instructed Daniel. Daniel knew better than protesting. He walked out of the room and made his way back to his class.

9:55 A.M.

Daniel walked into the class to find that his class teacher was already there and that they were waiting for him. "What did the principal say?" Chris whispered to me as soon as I sat down. "The principal is just being himself." Daniel replied, trying to hide the disappointment he felt after this meeting with the principal.

"The teachers are very happy with your plans, Daniel." The class teachers told him, smiling. "Thank you ma'am." He replied. "But why are you looking a bit down? Is everything alright?" She asked him. "There are some discussions to be made with the principal before things can be implemented. I'd rather say, we need to negotiate with the principal." He replied. The class teacher laughed. "I'll leave that one to you." She replied, smiling harder than ever.

10:00 A.M.

There was absolute silence in the class. No voice could be heard except for the class teachers. The class teacher was taking the routine attendance just like any ordinary day. Just as she called off the last name, the public announcement system blared announcing that tomorrow was a holiday due to a strike, called upon by some student activist group. Weirdly, the announcement was cut in between and the mic was switched off seconds later. Suddenly all the lights and the air conditioning went off. "Students, please remain in your seats and do move." The teacher ordered.

10:05 A.M.

It was three minutes since the power went off but no one shouted not screamed like they usually did. This was weird. We had our back up power systems which kick in within seconds of a power failure. This was something which had never happened before. Another minute passed by before we had our lights back on. Everybody sighed in relief. Suddenly, there was this loud bang bang sound coming from the ground floor. "What's happening?" Emma asked Daniel, with a bit of fear in her voice. "Calm down." Daniel replied. "It's probably some construction work and they probably cut the power cables." Mike added.

Suddenly the students could hear people screaming from the ground floor. Emma gripped Daniel's hand as tightly as possible. There was something weird about this. The students could hear the sounds of grown-ups scouting and screaming. No, they didn't sound like the teachers. The class teacher walked slowly towards the door. With one hand, she pulled the handle and put her head outside the window to get a clear view of what exactly was happening. All the students sat in their places without moving a muscle. Suddenly, a loud bang filled the air and the head of the teacher jerked backward and hit the wall behind her. Not a sound came out of her mouth. She fell on the ground and collapsed backward giving the students a clear view. Emma screamed, so did most of the students. There was a hole in the forehead of the teacher and there was blood oozing out of it. Someone had shot the teacher in her head.

---------
Hope you enjoyed the story! Leave your suggestions in the comment box below! DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!

l/POYDl9QInJh%=)