Chapter 32

*Kalpana Pov*

"Have the food, Kalpana." I heard someone saying and I did calmly sitting between them while no one uttered a word.

"I shouldn't have asked you to call your... your friend." I heard another voice but kept quiet.

"I will take Sudhir and let him sleep along with Nivaan." I heard another voice and I wish I can come out all this and speak to them.

"Talk!" someone mumbled placing a hand on my shoulder.

"All these years, I was not taking care of him. Some stranger was doing everything and here I felt... I..." I trailed off choking on my words.

"You are a good mother, Kalpana. The things you can give to him don't decide that." Aunty said, but I shook my head.

"She was supposed to be my best friend, but all she was just a spy for him." I mumbled closing my eyes.

"I think she was just not that. She was really distressed and guilty and I can see she cares for you." Mridula said.

"Stop it, Mridula." Nipuna mumbled and I realized it is her hand on my shoulder.

"I became a secretary and I think I am not eligible even for normal post, except the starting clerk job." I said shaking my head.

"I don't think so, Kalpana." Mridula said in a confident tone.

"How can you say that?" I asked really surprised with her words.

"Because I was there in the room hearing everything but leave that matter. How about you test yourself and then decide what you are really eligible for?" she asked back.

"How?" I asked her frowning.

"I heard Dileep is in need of a new secretary. Why don't you apply for him?" she asked.

"I don't want another pity job." I replied frowning.

"Well, we need not tell him you are when you go for interview. He will return within a few days. By that time be ready with needed documents and go for it." Mridula added and everyone sat silent.

"You are a genius." Nipuna said and I slowly nodded.

"But... but I didn't resign from my previous job." I mumbled frowning.

"Just call him and ask him to free you from the company. That's the least he can do for you." Nipuna said, waving off my words.

"Why don't you call now? He can send you the documents needed by tomorrow." Mridula advised.

"If you don't get selected, you can apply for another position in the company. And first try this." Aunty said and I nodded after a few minutes of thinking.

I held my phone tightly for a few minutes sitting on the bed and dialed his number before pressing it to my ear.

"Kalpana!" he whispered the moment he lifted the call.

"I am applying for a new job and I need relieving from your company." I said, ignoring everything and just made the brain stay alive.

"Where... where are you?" he asked and I closed my eyes not knowing what to do.

"Pallavi didn't tell you?" I asked sharply remembering her words from morning.

"She was there!" he stated and I took a deep breath.

"She was here and gave a summary of the play you both designed." I added still feeling the sharpness in my tone.

"Can I come near you?" he asked making me tighten the hold on my mobile.