Chapter 5

Emil hadn't slept very well in the brig. The wood he had to sleep on was uncomfortable. He slept at an awkward angle that made his neck stiff by the time morning rolled around. He still had the splinters in his hands, so that didn't really help at all.

  When the memories of what happened the night before, Emil's heart dropped. He was on Arthur's ship, no way off it as far as he knew. This was happening for what? 'Cause he was sure the Northern Lights had gotten lost. He was regretting trying to find them, but then again, if he didn't, who would?

  He made his way to his feet, and going to the door of the brig. If he tried hard enough, Emil was sure he could fit through the bars. But he would need his hands clear of splinters and he would have to know where to go. He didn't know this ship well enough to know where any good hiding spots were. Plus, he didn't want to have to hide for too long, or else he would get hungry.

  "Oh would you look at that. He's awake." A voice said as the owner made his way down the wooden steps. Each step making a loud thump. Emil didn't recognize the voice. It was probably one of the people on Arthur's crew. Most likely human, Emil thought.

  Emil said nothing as the person came over. Just watching how uncaring the persons steps seemed to be. Maybe he was hungover from the night before. But no, Emil threw the thought away. He had seen Matthias hungover many times, and he never acted like this. So maybe this guy just had too big of an ego.

  "Come on, if you're going to be on this ship, you're gonna have to be put to work." He said as he got the key out, unlocking the brig. Emil went to walk out when he was picked up by his coat. As soon as his feet were off the ground he began to kick around and protest. He hated being picked up like this.

  "Oh shut it." The man said as he smacked Emil's head. Emil fell silent, his eyes gathering with tears. But he forced them back the best he could. He was on a pirate ship, he could be killed for showing any kind of weakness.

  Once on deck, Emil was dropped. He let out a squeak as he fell and hit the ground. The splinters he had digging into his hands even more as he used his hands to stop his fall. If he could get these splinters out of his hands, that would be wonderful. Emil just wanted them gone, almost as much as he wanted to be at home.

  "Captain says its your job to wash the deck." The man that had carried him smirked. Now that Emil's eyes had finally adjusted to the light, he could finally get a better look at the man. His hair, probably blonde once, looked dark and greasy. He had stubble on his chin, and cold brown eyes. His clothes practically rags, layered on rags, trying to help keep the warmth inside to keep himself warm compared to the cold winter air.

  "Here ya go." A new voice said bringing a pail towards them. The new man handed it to Emil, being nice enough to make sure Emil actually had a grip on it before letting go. "It's got a scrub brush in there for ya already."

  Emil nodded up at the man, before looking down into the bucket. Sure enough, a scrub brush was in there. "Thank you." Emil mumbled out to the brunette. He had a scar left on his left cheek, and Emil was going to use that to help him remember him because so far, he seemed to be the only nice one on this whole ship.

  The one who handed Emil the bucket, crouched down in front of him. "Now, all you got to do, is dip the brush in the water, then scrub the planks with the grain." He told Emil. Emil gave him a confused look.

  "The grain?"

  The man gestured to the wood. "See the way the lines go in the wood?" He asked and Emil nodded. "That's called the grain. You want to scrub the way it goes, not against it."

  Now Emil understood. He was thankful he had that explained to him. If he hadn't, and he had done it wrong, he was sure he would have been yelled at. Emil really didn't want to be yelled at. He hated it when people yelled at him.