Chapter 1

The bus screeched to a halt and I reluctantly stood up, I looked up at the pale blue house which I had nicknamed "the hell hole."

I slumped to the floor and slung my backpack over my shoulder.  I stalked down the rows of dead faces before exiting the school bus.

I began my trudge up the driveway until I reached my porch; after a minute I looked up the steps at the big door in front of me.

The place looked like a haunted house, except it wasn't rundown; it was well cared for.  At least our parents took care of something because they sure didn't care for their kids.

I quietly opened the door and peeked in, it was silent inside my house.  My annoyance subsided as I crept inside; I checked all the rooms for my parents but they were no where to be found.
I swallowed before turning the corner of my kitchen to head towards the stairs.

"They're gone with work" a voice said.

I jumped as I whirled around to see Colby standing in the entrance of our living room.

"You scared the hell out of me!" I shouted.

He laughed with his big arms crossed over his chest as if he was proud of himself.

I grabbed my backpack off my shoulder and swung it at him; he put up his arms and jumped back so that he only got smacked by the loose straps.

He laughed his usual smoker-like laugh before I went up and twisted his arm behind his back.

"I'm sorry!" He shouted through his laughter.

I laughed along with him; which made me get distracted long enough for him to break free of my grip and push me to the ground. He put one knee on my back and laughed in victory as I struggled under his weight.

"Alright dingus let me up!" I snapped.

"You're no fun, Claire" he teased before releasing me.

I sat up and fixed my blonde pixie cut; Colby sat next to me and asked "how was school?"

"Boring" I replied; "how was yours?"

"Good, didn't talk to anyone as usual" he said.

I smirked as I stood up; "so you didn't attempt to flirt with Elizabeth?"

"No, stop bringing her up... that's my business" Colby said as his face became flush.

"Well than you shouldn't have told me about her!" I said as I swung the fridge door open.

"You know I don't flirt, I'm a gentleman" he said as he sat down.

I looked around inside the fridge and saw some leftover apple pie; I grabbed the glass dish and pulled it out.

"Well, you still need to make sure she knows you exist" I said.   I grabbed myself a plate and quickly added "do you want a slice?"

"Yes" he replied; "I will talk to her... eventually."

I smiled and chuckled as I sliced the pie and put it on the plate.

"Watch her end up being taken" I laughed.

"You know some days I just wish I had burned your adoption papers" Colby shot back.

I laughed as I walked to the table with the plates of pie and sat down.

"You know you love me" I said.

Colby didn't reply but the smile on his face gave away how much he cared.