Chapter 3

I lay under a tree in a park with Colby sat by my side; we were staring up at the clouds trying to find new shapes. It was nice to finally be away from the hell hole and be in the outdoors; the cold was manageable in exchange for some peace.

"Now it looks like a lady walking her dog" Colby said.

"What kind of clouds are you looking at?" I asked with a snort of laughter.

"That cloud, right up there!" He practically shouted as he pointed to the sky.

I smiled and close my eyes; a few minutes later I heard Colby lay back on the grass with me.  For once, I felt like I could relax.

Most of the day had been spent in that park.  We had walked trails, and goofed off, and raced each other up and down hills.  I never wanted this to end.

"I don't want to go home" Colby said in a quiet voice.

I looked at him before sitting up and replying "I don't want to either."  We would have to go home at 6:00PM though, that was when we had to head home so we could make it home by 6:30PM.

I could feel my eyes sink as I saw my brother wrap his arms around his legs.

Colby looked at the ground and asked "will this ever get better?"

I looked at him, I wasn't sure if that would ever happen.  I knew eventually I would move out and could take him with me, that day seemed very far away though.

"It will, one day I will move out and you can come with me" I said; "I promised you I would never leave you, and I won't."

"I know..." Colby said; "when do you think that will happen?"

"Probably after high school, when I get a job" I replied.

Colby nodded softly and then added "I could work too."

"No" I stopped him there; "you aren't quitting school, you will not drop out."

Colby didn't argue back but I could tell he was upset with me.  I looked up at the sky to return to my thoughts; I wasn't depriving Colby the chance to make a good living.

My mind ventured on as I wondered if we could make it until that precious day came. Would we ever have to leave sooner? What would make us leave sooner? How would we get away if we needed to? Where would we go?

Before I knew it, I was trapped in a spiral of hypothetical situations, I didn't let it show on my face though.

"We need to get going" Colby said; shaking me from my anxieties.

"Okay" I simple said as I got up.

I walked silently for most of the time, the few moments I looked at Colby I could tell he was worried about me. I couldn't let him see how I felt though.

I forced a smirk and took off running, instantly he returned my smirk with a bright smile and chased after me.

I was faster so I got ahead of him which meant I didn't have to smile anymore. I felt bad hiding how I felt around Colby, but it was what I had always done.