Chapter 6

Time went past me like dust; so slowly I couldn't even see it clearly. "I must say that it's interesting how the owner of the apartment gets locked out."

It was so quiet and lonely, even the slightest noise got clearer at the second. I swear I could even hear my neighbour peeing on the other side of the wall, the cat meowing at its owner and a dog barking after what I imagined was food. Sadly, I couldn't ignore it anyhow, as every item I could have distracted or entertained myself with, was unreachable.

While my phone was being a witness to whatever investigation was happening inside the apartment, I was left blinded outside, only to entertain myself with the hairband around my wrist. And everything else that was going on behind the locked doors.

He must have been half dead by now; shattered into pieces and burned into ashes of all the questions. Liz was the flame with the power to light his hair on fire by a wrong turn. She was like a fire in the rainforest, and by every spark she left, the fire spread. She knew just what to say to scare him away or make him never leave again. Which of them she was trying to convince him of, I wouldn't know until the door was opened again. Until then, I knew nothing.

"Since I own the apartment, I technically have the power to tell you to open the door, you know?" They didn't care. At least Liz didn't, and she wouldn't let him open the door any minute.

I felt bad for him for having to go through the pain of having every single detail of him poured into the hands of a stranger, but I guess I saw it coming. Preparation could and should have been made (like cleaning up the mess I called my home), but he didn't even give me a warning he was coming. And Liz didn't exactly give me a heads-up she was turning into a detective.

It's his fault. Not yours. Relax, please. Listen to the humble sound of your sweet neighbour peeing and the distracting noise of the animals begging for attention. Yeah, because that sure was enjoyable and very relaxing.

Sitting outside the door for an hour was hell. I could hear them talking; the soft whispers, as I quietly tried to make some words out of them, but I couldn't. Then I heard the laughing and I was wondering if I might just end up knocking on someone's door to call the janitor.

What if Liz told him something about me that I wouldn't want him to know? What if she showed him a childhood picture of me? Or worse; what if she just freaked him out by not talking at all?

Calm down. You will start beating yourself if you continue like this. Don't you think I'm already doing that by pinching myself to get out of this nightmare?

"Guys. Stop being so childish," I shouted against my door, banging the back of my head against it. "I can solve my own problems, and I don't appreciate being locked out of my own flat like this," I added, only wanting for them to give me an answer, but they didn't.

What if they were having the annual house tour? What if the were examining my dress size right at this moment?

Just as I was about to stand up, and imagine myself knocking the door down like you see in action movies, it started to make the squeaky sound of it opening. "Finally," I whispered to myself, as Liz looked at me with a smirking glance and giggled. "Now tell me. What did you do?"

"Nothing. We just have a casual conversation to get to know each other," she said and looked directly at me. My eyes narrowed at her, as we just looking at each other; me giving her the death glare and her almost laughing. Scratch that; she was laughing already.

I sighed. "No, you didn't."

Liz shook her head. "You know me too well. But honestly, Elona; did you order him online in a package stating he was a copy of perfection or something? Because he owns a company, his mother and father are not divorced, he has one younger sister with a beautiful daughter, and he is gorgeous," she mumbled, looking straight at me. My eyes relaxed slightly. "See? Casual conversation."