3rd practise: Change

(School required us to write one page about a change in our life so here's mine)

It started out as a normal day at school. I was in Year 3 (age 8) when the class was doing an activity. It was a simple activity, one which most people have probably done during their year in primary school. We had to cut a face out of a magazine and stick only half of it on a piece of paper; on the other side we were required to draw the other half of the face. I didn't think much of this activity at first; I just thought it was a way to get out of doing boring work. That was until I had received a single compliment from a teacher. Before then, I never really had an opinion on art but it quickly changed once my teacher complimented my drawing, saying that it was good. I'm not sure why it changed me so much. Perhaps it's because my silly little drawings have never been complimented before.

This small comment inspired me to draw, to have an interest in art. Since then, I've started drawing more and more often. Struggling to get things to look good, being proud of something which my future self would cringe at. I remember after that, I started to look up to a friend of mine. She was smart and really good art for her age and I wanted to be like her, to have the same skills as her. She was admired highly by her peers and her teachers, and I had much respect for her. During that year before she left the school, I've appreciated her skills and still look up to her to this day, despite losing contact with each other.

I never had proper supplies to draw with, only a pen and scrap paper to draw with. Anything that was blank, I would draw on, whether it was a small piece of paper or a blank page in an exercise book. I never received a sketchbook or special pencils and pens but I still appreciated and had fun with what I had. My family isn't the wealthiest family out there so I was extremely happy when I received a simple drawing tablet in Year 6 (age 11). I've always wanted to do digital drawing back then and started out with using a mouse on MS Paint.

My experience with art has been an enjoyable and frustrating one. It's irritating to practice and learn, but satisfying to finish something you're proud of, even if it looks bad. I've improved so much since I first started drawing, and learn so many skills and techniques to use. Of course, I still need to practice and learn much more to have the capability to draw as well as my idols, but I'm proud with my progress since Year 3. Art has been an enjoyable hobby of mine, even if it gets infuriating and disheartening. Twenty-five percent of the time when I'm procrastinating, I'll be drawing on my tablet. This hobby has taught me to appreciate people's efforts and skills in something they've created, even if it's a bad drawing or a crappy game, because I've been in their position before: being a starter with the skills and knowledge of a beginner.

All of this started with a single compliment; to be able to appreciate other people's work, to learn to get up and pursue your goal after being put down by others or yourself, to experience the process of making mistakes and learning from it, to be able to take critique and use it, to gather friends and socialise with others who are interested in the same topic, and to be able to procrastinate more than I already do.

Being able to appreciate other people's work, experiencing the process of making mistakes and learning from it; it all started with a single comment. I'm able to get up and pursue my goal after being put down by others and myself. My interest in art has allowed me to meet people became my friends and critics. But most importantly, I'm able to procrastinate more than I already do.