4th practise: Golden Rice and Bionic Ear

(We had to write 100 words max describing what each of these has done or helped with for science)

Golden Rice

Golden rice is a bio-fortified crop that has been genetically modified to produce beta-carotene; a precursor of vitamin A. Rice is a staple food for half of the world's population, especially in countries where VAD is an issue, yet it has very few nutrients. This project aims to help people and children who suffer from vitamin A deficiency (VAD), hence, why the rice produces beta-carotene. VAD is a major problem in developing countries, affecting 190 million children in 2005, and annually being the cause of 1-2 million deaths, 500,000 cases of irreversible blindness and millions of cases of xerophthalmia.

Bionic Ear

A bionic ear, or cochlear implant, is a surgically implanted electronic device that is designed to restore or gain the ability to sense sound for those affected by hearing loss. This is done by electronically stimulating the cochlea's hearing nerve which sends the impulse to the brain where they are interpreted as sound. This has benefited people who even have extreme hearing loss, and more than 180,000 people worldwide have the device implemented already. People with hearing loss not only have difficulty communicating, but can feel isolated or excluded as well as having a much higher unemployment rate and receiving rarely any schooling.