10

Harry's POV

The sky above us was beginning to get scarily dark when we finally heard the roar of a road, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Phoenix was growing tired, her words turning monosyllabic and her comments growing less and less sarcastic.

Stepping out of the forest, I smiled at the sight of the concrete roads and yellow-tinged street lights. Looking beside me, Phoenix had already sat down and placed her weary head in her hands; she was an emotional wreck, she had already told me more about her feelings than she had ever told anyone.

"I don't want to trust you," she whispered, almost as if she had read my thoughts, and all I could do was nod in response.

Dusk was falling upon us, and the air was growing much colder, causing us both to shiver. We had been walking for hours, and I didn't have the energy to even consider finding our way back to the camp. Suppressing the urge to sit down as well, knowing my heavy eyelids would droop the second I gave into my fatigue, I scanned the area for any sign of life that could help us.

After thirty minutes of patient waiting, and moaning from Phoenix, I finally heard the faint sound of tires on the road. Pulling up the bag of bones beside me who was practically a walking zombie, I stuck my thumb out and hoped that whoever was driving would have the compassion to help us out.

A red truck came into view, and I smiled as I saw the driver slow as he came to us. Sticking his head out the window, he raised a quizzical eyebrow at the state of us. Our clothes were muddied, and Phoenix was acting as though she were on drugs.

"What are you kids doing out this late on the roadside?" He asked in a thick Texan accent which made Phoenix giggle slightly.

"We got lost. We're camping with our... school... in a part of the woods. Is there anyway you can take us somewhere where we can find our way back?" He looked taken off guard by my accent, and it was obvious that he had never met an English person before.

"Get in. I'll take you the town centre, stay there till the morning and you'll be able to find your way back."

Dragging Phoenix to the back of the truck, I buckled her into the seat and she fell asleep almost immediately. Again the main raised his eyebrow, and I simply stated that she was exhausted from hiking. It was true, however I wasn't sure why Phoenix was so unbelievably tired.

The journey was bumpy, and the truck jumped up and down as it rammed at full speed into potholes. The driver didn't ask many questions; he seemed weary of us, like we had come from a different planet.

Staring out the window, I tried to see if I could recall any of the surroundings. But it was too dark, and the forest all looked the same, so I gave up trying to work out where we were and instead focused on the road ahead. I desperately wanted to fall asleep, but I was worried that the minute I closed my eyes, the driver would kidnap us and lock us in his cabin.

Not that that would be any worse than being locked up at the clinic.

Looking over at Phoenix's oddly calm features, I noticed how young she looked. Despite her usually strong and fierce expression, her face looked softer while she was sleeping. Her lips were parted ever so slightly, and her hair was splayed out behind her like a mane. She looked effortlessly beautiful.

Soon the trees outside became less dense, and I began to spot a few cabins that were dotted along the roadside.

"Not long till the town," the driver barked, and I shook Phoenix awake despite the fact that I wished I could remain looking at her peaceful state.

Rubbing her eyes, she said very little and instead stared out the window like me, counting the rapidly increasing number of houses outside. We passed larger houses, ones that were obviously expensive, but as we came towards the town the houses gradually became more derelict.

By the time we reached the centre, everything surrounding the car was either boarded up or looked as though it were on the brink of falling down.

"I have to leave you here, otherwise you'll be going in the wrong direction. It's not too late, I'm sure you'll find somewhere to sleep," the man said quietly, and we both thanked him for his hospitality.

Stepping out the car, my eyes scanned the area for a building that resembled a hostel. We couldn't stay in a hotel because we had no money, and I shivered slightly at the idea of spending the night sleeping rough on the streets.

Phoenix tugged at my arm, still looking rather tired, and pointed towards a gas station that appeared to be open twenty four hours a day. Hunger became apparent, and slowly we made our way over to the building that was lit by fluorescent lights.

I knew this would be a long night.

What have they got themselves into?! What will happen now? Will they find their way back to the camp?

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed :)