Chapter 3 - History

"Ella, this isn't exactly the hardest question," Carter complained.

     "I'm sorry that I've never been to this cafe and I don't know what I want to drink!" I squealed back.

     "Just get something you've liked at other places then?"

    "It's not that simple! I need to find something to cherish, that would make me come back. Because I want to come back, I want to share this safe place with you," I said, staring at the chalkboard menu.

     "That was the cutest thing I've ever heard," Carter said, wrapping an arm around my waist.

     "I'll get whatever you get, okay? Don't get something bad," I whined.

     "You sound like a pig," he murmured against my hair.

     "Stop," I whined again.

     "Little piggy," he whispered, chuckling behind me.

     "What would you like?" The barista said when we approached the counter. 

     "Can we have two medium mocha hot chocolates and a biscotti giganti," Carter asked.

"Yep, here's your card, sit at a table and it'll be brought right over," she said, smiling at us.

"Carter?" I asked nervously.

"Yes piggy?"

"What's biscotti giganti?" I asked, trying to mimic his words.

"You'll see. Do you want to pick the seat?"

"Yes!" I squealed, squirming out of his arms to find the perfect booth.

I took a seat at a booth in the corner of the cafe. There was a window to the left of the seat, and a painting above the right side of the seat. I crawled into the booth and sat in the middle, cross legged. Carter came and sat next to me, pulling me closer to him.

"I bet you take all of your girlfriends here," I said, giggling as his face hardened.

"You're the first," he admitted, closing his eyes.

"Did I upset you?"

"No, Ella, I'm just remembering the first time I came here," he whispered.

"Will you tell me?"

"In a minute, our drinks are coming," he said, opening his eyes.

"Two mocha hot chocolates?" The waitress asked, holding out two cups and a box.

"Yes ma'am," Carter replied, reaching out to take our ordered items.

"What's in the box?"

"You can look inside," he replied, a smile forming on his face.

I took the box from his hands and set in on the table eagerly. Opening it, steam escaped and floated straight into my face. It brought the sent of fresh baked cookies. I peered into the box, and sure enough, a giant cookie was waiting for us.

"Carter! It's a big cookie!" I squealed. He handed me a fork and I started to break a piece off to eat. He watched me carefully, taking in every movement I made as if he were a lion stalking it's prey. I ignored him, and took a bite of the freshly made cookie.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it! It's so delicious, it's so soft and warm and gooey," I said, taking another bite. He took a sip of his hot chocolate.

"Can I try some?" I asked.

"Sure," he said, handing me his cup.

"Didn't we get the same thing? I can drink out of my own cup," I managed to choke out through a mouth full of cookie.

"Oh, right," he said, handing me the other cup.

"Can you tell me now?" I asked, sipping on the hot chocolate.

"Yeah, okay," he started. "The first time I came here was with my mother. She was my favorite person, Ella, she was such a good person. She told me so many things while we were sitting here. We sat in this booth, this exact one."

"Really?"

"Yep, and it was in this booth that she told me she had to go away. I didn't know at the time, but she was a heavy drug addict. Anyway, she said she had to leave, to keep me safe. She said she'd be back, but that we needed to have fun while we were together," he said. "So we sat here and we colored, we laughed, we talked. It was so much fun."

"Carter.." I said, taking his hand.

"I'm okay," he said, sternly. "When it was time for the cafe to close, I knew she would be leaving. I just didn't think it was going to be right when we left the building."

He shut his eyes and gave my hand a tight squeeze.

"Outside there was a black car waiting for us, and my grandma's car was also there. My mother knelt beside me, hugged and kissed me, and said she'd see me when I graduated high school," he whispered.

"I watched her get in that car, Ella, I watched her walk out of my life. The black car sped off, only when they left did my grandmother get out of her car to come get me."

"Who were the guys in the black car?"

"I don't know. But my grandmother didn't like them," he replied. "Anyway, my grandmother and I left and I haven't been here since. Until I met you. Ella you've made me forgive her for leaving me. I wanted to share this with you, because you're special, even though I've only known you for a few hours."

"I'm glad you decided to share this side of you with me, I don't think I ever would have guessed anything like this about you."

"Eat your cookie, I want to take you somewhere," he said, smiling at me.

"You should have some too," I said, pushing the platter towards him. He took the fork from my hand and took a forkful of cookie.