Chapter 2 - Listen

"What's your favorite childhood memory?"

     "Well, in 2003 I went to Florida with my mother and younger brother. Most people go to Florida for Disney but we went just to have fun. We went to the beach, I forget what it was called, but it was so beautiful. The ocean was so blue, and the sand was so soft," I replied. He'd been interrogating me for the past 20 minutes. 

     "You have a brother?" He asked, glancing away from the road to wiggle his eyebrows at me.

     "Yeah, his name is Andy. He's about 3 years younger than me, and he's easily one of my best friends," I said, giggling at his facial expression.

     "I'm going to change that, I'm going to be your new best friend," he said, looking back at the road.

     "Yes sir," I said, still giggling. 

     "Why did you only go with your mom? Why not your father as well?" I could tell his eyebrows were furrowed even though he wasn't looking at me.

     "My, um, my dad left when Andy was 2. He wasn't  ready to have a full family yet, I guess? They fought a lot, and he was so childish. So I guess having another kid wasn't really his idea of fun," I said, looking at my hands. Carter reached over & took my hand in his, squeezing it for reassurance.

     "I'm sorry, Ella. He's missed so much, so so much. You're an amazing person," Carter said, his voice full of many different emotions.

     "Do I get to ask some questions now?" 

     "What do you want to know?"

     "What's your favorite color," I asked in a sarcastic voice.

     "I hope you know I'm thinking very hard about this," he replied, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

     "I hope you know I'll listen to every word," I shot back.

     "In that case," he said, "It's green. But not just any green, it's a deep, grassy green color. But it has flakes of gold mixed in, too."

     "How did you come up with that?"

     "It's the color of your eyes."

     "You're a hopeless romantic," I murmured. 

     "Yes I am," he whispered, "we're here."

     "Where are we-"

     "Cafe Du Monde," he said before I could finish. He got out of the car and made his way to the passenger door.

     "I've never been here," I admitted.

     "It's my favorite," he said, holding a hand out to help me out of the car.

     "I'm sure I'll love it, then."