// Chapter Two

Connor’s House

Thursday, 26th July 2013 10:12am

I woke up groggily in Connor’s guest bedroom. We had both ended up falling asleep with only ten minutes of the film left, after finishing the three pizzas we’d ordered, and Connor’s mum had come in to check on us and woke us up so we could get ready for bed, and despite the early night I still felt tired. Then I remembered. The rest of the boys were coming around in... about one and a half hours, and we had to go meet them at the train station from where they’d travelled all the way from Tristan’s house in Devon where they were expecting to all be hanging out for the few days they had before going to London, but Con had invited them around here instead.

I came out the shower twenty minutes later, my slightly damp hair up in a scruffy side plait over my shoulder, black jeans and my grey top with ‘make things happen’ written on it, along with the many bracelets I always had running up my wrist. “Hey Popsie-poo!” greeted Connor as he came out of his room, still in his pyjamas.

“Never call me that again,” I grumbled, but to show I still had a sense of humour I gave him a sideways smile, “Condora.” I came back, going back into the guest room to look for some shoes and my hoodie to wear.

“Mum’s got breakfast on the table,” began Connor, peeking his head through the door, “I’ll be down in a bit, just getting ready.”

“Cool!” I turned to face him, sitting on the floor at the foot of the bed with my favourite converses, decorated with a purple nebula that swirled around at my ankles. They also happened to be a birthday from Connor last year. I laced them up and snatched my grey tartan hoodie from the top of my duffel bag before making my way down the stairs. I could hear the gentle, constant hum of the shower in the bathroom from where Connor was getting ready.

Toast was already on the table and Connor’s mum was buttering two slices for herself. “Morning!” she said as I grabbed one of the slices and began spreading butter and marmite onto the slightly more burnt side, “Morning.” I replied.

“Good sleep?” she asked through a mouthful, spitting a few crumbs onto her plate by accident.

“Yeah, great. Thanks.” I flashed her a smile as Connor thumped his way down the stairs.

“Morning, all.” Con stole one of his mother’s pieces of toast and jammed it into his mouth, “C’mon, Poppy! The boys will be here soon!” he grabbed my shoulders with both his hands and excitedly pulled me off my chair and began pushing me to the door, keeping his hands on my shoulders and only giving me a second to grab my hoodie and shove the last of my toast into my mouth. “Con, we have like, an hour until their train even gets here!” I finally managed to swallow the toast.

“I know.” Con spoke indifferently as we walked down the street. I didn’t even know where we were going, but I just followed my friend down the quiet road.

“So where are we going?” I finally asked, after half a minute of silence.

“I dunno.” Connor said in the same tone as before, but this time turned to me, “I just thought we could go to the park, you know? Like before.” His voice cracked slightly on the last line. Yes. Like before. Before I moved to the stupid, fancy private school to do my A-levels. Before Con joined the band. When everyone was young and stupid. But fun. Us two and our group of friends: Hannah, Harry, Chris, Noah, Alfie and Tia. Just the eight of us. I kicked a small, grey rock on the pavement, reminiscing about how we used to hang around in the park and just wreak havoc. The little rock clattered along the path as I kicked it again, scraping the soles of my shoes along the pavement. “I wonder if our initials are still on the swing set.” I smirked, leading the way through the green gate that led into the small, empty park. Con immediately sat down on ‘his swing’, the furthest one to the left, and I sat on mine next to him.