Chapter 1

This is a re-release. I've changed characters and added some bits and pieces in places. Please add this book to your Library, this is a completely different book from the original. I will be deleting the old book once I get all the chapters transferred.

Sorry for such short chapters. This book was written before I started lengthening my chapters. :)

ENJOY!!

***********

Avi gathers up his art pad, drawing pencils and colored pencils and shove them into his backpack. He was so glad it was Friday. He was tired of trying to understand that math they have been trying to teach him. They called it simple math. Whatever.

No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't do it. Maybe he was dumb like the students over at the high school said he was.

"Don't worry Avi, you'll catch on to this math. It's really pretty simple." Tim Foust, Avi's teacher says, patting him on the back.

"Maybe for you, you're not stupid." Avi says, cramming the rest of his art supplies into his bag.

"And neither are you." Tim says.

"Mr. Foust, I'm 18 yrs. old. I should be graduating from high school this year. But instead, I'm stuck in this school for retards." Avi says, sitting down on Tim's desk.

"There's no 'retards' here, Avi. Every student in this school has a learning disability. They just learn slower than the other students." Tim says as he sits down next to Avi.

"Some of us are incapable of learning, period. I've been doing these same math problems since the beginning of the year and still don't have a clue how to do them." Avi says sadly.

"Well, we'll just have to keep trying till you can learn it. Just don't give up." Tim says. "Got any big plans for the weekend?"

"No, Esther has to work so that will give me time to work on her birthday present. Her birthday is in two weeks and I still have a lot of work to do on it." Avi says.

"Really? So, what are you making her?" Tim asks.

"I carving her an angel that looks like our Mom." Avi smiles.

"Oh my gosh, Avi, that sounds awesome. She'll love it. If you want to, you can bring it to art class and work on it during class." Tim suggests.

"Could I really? That would be great. Thank-you Mr. Foust. I need to go before Esther sends out the National Guard." Avi says, hopping off the desk.

"Only because she cares." Tim smiles.

"And you're only taking up for her because you have a crush on her." Avi laughs throwing his backpack over his shoulder.

"Well, it wouldn't hurt if you would put in a good word for me." Tim yells as Avi waves going out the door.

Tim hurries over to the door, "By the way, when are you gonna stop calling me Mr. Foust and start calling me Tim?" He yells.

Avi turns around walking backward down the hall. "When you start dating my sister." He yells with a laugh.

He walks out the door and the first thing he sees are some high school kids on the basketball court.

"HEY! DOG! WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!" One of the boys yells. "LEARN ANYTHING TODAY? RETARD? WHAT'S TWO PLUS TWO??" And they all laugh.

Avi adjusts his beanie and continues to walk towards the diner several blocks away. The boys yell things at him almost every day. They've chased him a few times and he's even been beaten up a time or two. As he walks he keeps glancing over his shoulder from time to time to make sure they weren't coming.

Finally, he reaches the diner. He walks in and sees his sister, Esther, cleaning off a table. He gives her a sheepish smile as he walks by her, going to his favorite table in the corner.

He sits his backpack in the booth then sits down. Unzipping his bag, he starts taking out his pencils and his drawing book. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Esther heading his way. She wasn't looking very happy.

She leans over on the table and drums her fingernails on the table.

"What?" He asks, looking up at her with innocent green eyes.

She raises up and crosses her arms across her chest, "Why are you late? I was getting worried that you had another run in with those jerks."

Avi picked up a drawing pencil and opened his tablet. "I was talking to Mr. Foust." He says, emphasizing 'Foust'. He crosses his hands over his book and smiles up at his sister.

He noticed her expression softened at the sound of Tim Foust's name. Yep major crush.

"So how was school today?" Esther asks, sitting down across from her little brother.

"I'd rather not talk about it, Essy" Avi says, gazing out the window looking for something to draw.

She reaches across the table and pats his hand, "That bad, Huh?"

He cuts his eyes around at her and nods.

"Would you like something to eat? Would that cheer you up?" She asks with a smile.

"A BBQ sandwich would cheer me up a little. Throw in some fries and a drink and that would make me a very happy Avi." He says smiling.

**********

VOTE & COMMENT!!!