Goodbye (Berenice's POV)

"Mama?" I hear.

"Zindra? Is that you, sweetie?" I ask.

"Yes," she says.

"I'm in the study," I say. She comes into the room. "Hi, Zindra. How was the Ceremony?" I ask. She bites her lip; her nervous habit. "What's wrong, Zin?" I ask, calling her by her childhood nickname. For once, she doesn't reprimand me. She suddenly envelopes me in a large hug. I hesitantly hug her, soothingly rubbing her back. "What's wrong, sweetie?" I ask again. She pulls away and wipes at her eyes. She doesn't answer so I try another approach. "What coterie are you in?" I ask. She shakes her head. Something clicks into place. I grab her arm tightly and drag her into the secret attic.

"You're hurting me," she says quietly. I let go, still panicking inside.

"Zindra," I say, trying to keep my voice level and calm. "Did you get Chosen?" She nods and tears well up again in her eyes. I pull her into a tight hug. No. No! Not my baby! I take deep breaths, remaining calm for her sake.

"I'm scared, Mama," she says, her voice barely audible.

"I know, baby girl. You'll be alright. You are a strong, brave, and smart young woman. They wouldn't have Chosen you if you weren't," I assure her. She pulls away.

"H...how do you know why they Choose people?" she asks. Sighing, I sit down on a dusty box.

"I think it's time we have a chat," I say. She pulls up a box next to mine and sits on it. Swallowing hard, I begin, "I am not from this coterie."

"You were a shift?" she interrupts.

"Don't speak until I'm finished," I say. She apologises. "I was not a shift," I clarify, "I was Chosen from Trepidation." Zindra gasps, but doesn't interrupt. "Your father was Chosen from Ire. We went through thick and thin together. Just before our Choosing was up, I got pregnant with you and Cyrus. A week later, your father was killed by the HoOs for questioning Pazarr's ideals," I say, tears coming from not only my eyes, but Zindra's as well.

"I'm so sorry, Mama. I had no idea," she says.

"I know, sweetie. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner but it just hurts so much."

"I don't blame you, Mama," she says. She checks her Placidix and her eyes widen.

"What is it?" I ask nervously.

"I have to go soon. They're coming in twenty minutes," she says. I get up quickly and she follows me into her room.

I drag out her suitcase, and mine from when I was Chosen. She helps me pack all of her clothing, plus a few knick-knacks. She looks at me, a kind of startled desperation in her eyes. I nod. She smiles sadly and I kiss her on the forehead and give her a massive hug. "I love you, sweetie. You'll be alright. I know you can do it," I reassure not only her, but myself too. She releases herself and grabs her bags before heading out the door. And that is the last time I will see her for the next two years. Or possibly forever.