× 02 ×

I rustle through my coat pockets and fetch out the keys to my apartment.

They jingle and I hear the satisfactory 'click,' of the lock as I gently use my foot to open the door.

I cough slightly before speaking, "So, uh, yeah... Sorry for the mess, aha..." I trail off my sentence, it's incredibly awkward.

Eun-Hyuk looks around the room, it's not 'messy,' but, there are a few clothes lying around.

"I'll clean the couch up for you, sorry. Make yourself at home for now," I say as I step inside, waiting for him to enter before locking the door.

He nods and enters, lurking around every corner, inspecting the place.

I pick up all the scattered clothes and toss them into a nearby laundry basket before placing pillows and a blanket on the sofa.

×

"It's not classy, but, it should be okay... You're not planning on staying long anyway, right?"

He looks at the couch and slumps down onto it, comfortably.

"I dunno," he shrugs with a smug grin.

I feel a vein pop in my neck.

"Aha, excuse me?"

"I dunno? I told you, I don't really recall what I was doing beforehand, so, plus, I can't really remember if I have anyone in my life right now," he says, crossing his arms behind his head.

No matter how he phrases it, it's unnatural for such a thing to occur.

I sigh and give in, I saved his life, I owe him at least, this much.

I waddle up to the couch and awkwardly sit down beside him.

He turns to face me, smiling he makes a 'hm?' sound with his mouth.

I blink twice and shake my hands, "Ah, it's really nothing... I just thought I should know more about you is all?" I stifle a laugh, somehow, it's even more awkward; I didn't think it was possible.

×

"Me?" He chuckles, pointing his index finger at his chin.

He exhales deeply and sinks into the couch.

"Okay, sure. But in exchange, you have to tell me about yourself, too."

'Seems reasonable,' is the first thought that crossed my mind.

"Okay so, list the general information I need to know," I say.

"Okay, well, my name's Martinez Eun-Hyuk; but you knew that already," he laughs.

"Uhm, I'm twenty-two years old... Ah, and my blood type is A-positive." He smiles, cocking his head to the right.

"You're unemployed?" I ask out of curiosity, even I, the lowest of the low; have a job.

"I... Can't really recall?" He stifles a laugh, but I can see he tensed up.

Either he doesn't want to talk about it, or he really can't remember.

I didn't want to push Eun-Hyuk to tell me things he was uncomfortable with, so to break the tension, I stated facts about me.

"Aha, well... Um, a deal is a deal! You wanted to know about me?" I say, smiling, showing off my teeth.

He nods quickly, he seems relieved I changed the subject.

"My name is Choi Hwan-Jae, I'm twenty-four years old, and my blood type is O-negative," I say, intertwining my own fingers.

Somehow I'm a little nervous telling him this stuff, I can't figure out why.

×

"Oh," I hum, "I'm a barista, I work at a small, cosy, coffee shop downtown."

His eyes sparkle, "Really?"

"U-uhm," I tense, "Yeah..."

"I've had a fascination with beverages, especially coffee shops. They do latte art, and thrive to make you the best tasting drink," he smiles.

"I've always wanted something to be passionate about..." He trails off, staring at my ceiling fan.

I exhale, leaving a smile on my face before ruffling his hair.

'Pure kid,' I think to myself.

I heave myself off the couch, turning my waist side to side in an effort to crack my back.

"Alright, I do have a spare toothbrush in the bottom bathroom cupboard. I've had a long night so I'll be going to sleep first," I explain, pointing to the bathroom door.

Eun-Hyuk nods.

"Heh, you're really kind Hwan-Jae-ssi," he smiles.

It feels kind of weird to hear that honorific used outside of work, to be honest.

I rub the back of my neck, "Erm, you can just call me Hwan-Jae, you know..."

His face turns blank before he begins cracking up.

"Oh, sorry, I thought you were a stern guy about these things,"

I narrow my eyebrows, "Do I look like a grandfather to you?"

He waves his hands in defeat and sinks lower into the sofa.

"Goodnight Hwan-Jae," he smiles, wiping his tear ducts.

I hear another thump, very abruptly.

I hitch my breathing for a second.

"Hwan-Jae?" He asks, looking up at me, though; it's not full of it, his face shows slight concern.

I chuckle, "No, it's fine,"

"Goodnight Eun-Hyuk," I say, before entering my room.

×

I shut the door and lean against it before sliding down onto the floor.

I bring my knees up and rest my head between my legs.

I exhale, feeling my face heat up.

I pinch my left cheek, regretting it soon after.

I put my head against the door and cover my eyes with my sleeve.

'Eun-Hyuk,' I think.

That boy, does he really have no memory?

I'm curious on what happened.

I shouldn't push him too hard, though.

I grunt in exasperation.

I shakily get up and put on my pyjamas.

I slide under the covers, feeling my hot face hit the cool pillow, puts me into perspective.

'He really does have something "other-worldly," about him,' I think, I shuffle my face into my pillow, in a desperate attempt to cool down.

×

How come, every time I think of him, my face heats up?

My heart hurts?

And I sweat?

'Eun-Hyuk is a guy, this isn't normal,' I pout.

I murmur something into my pillow, but even I don't know what, it's too inaudible.

I close my eyes and sigh.

His voice, saying my name, lingers through my brain, still.