Chapter One

"*" is vocabulary or phrases one may not not know, so I included them at the bottom of the chapter for your benefit.

"Father if you would just give me a chance, I-" "Darling, as much a I love you, I cannot use your ideas they are not my own. What do you think they will say if I said my daughter gave me the idea for this product? They would not use your idea at all." The tall vexed* man, my father, stood with his pipe in his hand and looked out the window as to say 'This conversation is over.'. I sigh and return to my quarters slowly. It seems these types of conversations are happening frequently between me and my father. I only wish to help, but it seems I'm only vexing the man. I quietly open the door to my chamber and lie down on my bed, today didn't go the way I planned, but when does it ever.

Two months later...

"Eleanor! Phoebe! Come down here I have the most excellent news!" I run to the drawing room to see my father, with a beaming smile across his face. Not long after Phoebe arrives. "Oh what tis' the news father, I've never seen you smile so, it must be good then!" Phoebe says as she enters the room. "Oh it tis' my darlings, it tis'. Earl Grey has planned to have a business meeting with me ,9 O'clock this Saturday." I smile joyfully at the exciting news.

        Ever since mother had died he has been really struggling with the business. Our family makes the most high quality instruments in England. My Father always try's to make improvements to the instruments, to make them sound better than the last generation. Since mother died though, my Father has not tried to improve them, thus decreeing the value of our precious Woodford instrument company. Hopefully with this deal my father will find the inspiration he needs to continue to uprise the company.

"Do you suppose his favorite tea is Earl Grey** as well?" Phoebe questions us. "I would laugh at the site of that." I say giggling. "The business meeting will be at Earl Grey's manor, in Manchester. So I will be absent for a week or so." he says still beaming. "Do you suppose we could go along with you father? Maybe there will be events we could attend, and maybe one of the men there would find us a bit o' jam*** ehhhh." Phoebe said as she elbowed my arm.

        Ive never seen my Father in so much disgust in his eyes "Phoebe Margret Woodford, I will not allow that type of joking in my house, you are only at the age of twelve how could you joke of such vulgar**** things." "However though, this would be a good opportunity to marry off your sister. What do you think about that Eleanor?" I stood still, bewildered***** by his comment. "Um it sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure that I am ready for something so quick" I say still shocked. My father began to laugh, something I haven't heard him do in a long while. "A joke only my dear. A joke only." I nervously laugh at his sick joke and begin to exit the room.

        "Oh and Eleanor, don't forget to call the maids for you and Phoebe." "But why?" I question. " To pack your things of course, I would like you and your sister to come along. I would like to ask for your help on maybe some ideas as well." He says. I smile happily. "Yes father right away!" I run fast to my chamber and ring the bell for the maids. "I won't let you down father, you'll like my ideas in promise." I say grabbing my notebook.

Vocabulary
*Vexed- annoyed, frustrated, or worried.
**Earl Grey - A kind o f china tea flavored with Bergamot (citrus flavor)
***Bit o' jam - pretty woman.
****Vulgar - making explicit and offensive references (lacking sophistication or good taste.)
*****Bewildered - confused and puzzled