Chapter 1

“Keep on your paws, Phoenix. Coming up on the target.” I heard Kunio’s deep and low voice bellow in my head. I didn’t answer, only watched the trees and bushes as they flew past me. My paws brought up the dust and dirt of the ground that settled into my fur. Over head, the moon shone down on the earth and lit the path that I traveled. The mist village headband around my neck bounced with the movements and made the symbol become a blur. Who am I you ask? What is my story? I’ll tell you.

          My name is Phoenix and I was orphaned at a very young age. I how no recollection of what my life was like until I was 6. That’s when Kunio found me and took me in as his own. No, I am not a real wolf. It’s just a jutsu I was taught; that’s also how Kunio is able to speak to me through my thoughts. It changed your body’s form into that of a wolf; a LARGE wolf now, about the size of a small bear. It’s a jutsu taught to only to those in the pack. We’re not widely known unless you’re from the Mist Village.

          It’s an assassin group made up of people Kunio hand picked for the operation. It’s like the ANBU organization and I was the third youngest there. That’s pretty good for anybody. Kunio is the Alpha of our pack and he stands alone. There is no Alpha two and there never has been. By that, I mean like his spouse. Right now, I’m a regular fighter, but I hope soon to be upgraded to Delta or the lead fighter. No one questions my motives and everyone knows my name. They call me Siren most of the time because I lure my enemies on with the beauty of my body.

          Though I only use that technique in wolf form. That would be WAY too perverted if I used it as a human. Yuck! I don’t want stalkers! No thanks! But anyway…that’s how I got my name. Siren of the Mist because no one could resist the beauty of my fur color, it being so rare. It almost worked today too, except he saw my headband before it could take effect. Oh well; just have to work a little harder.

          There he was, running through the trees from me and was trying to get away. Too bad for him because I refuse to lose my target. I got a clear view of him from in between the trees and bushes, but only for a second. He didn’t seem like much of a target; just a regular jonin. He turned only to throw about five kunai at me. None of them made a direct hit, but some were close. I saw him exit the trees and turn left, still running towards something. I turned parallel to him, still hidden behind the tree line.

          “Help, somebody help! There after me!” I snorted as he cried out. What a stupid attempt to save yourself. It was then I noticed where we were headed; Konoha Village. NO! I refuse to let him escape! He’d caught the attention of the guards, but it was too late. I lunged from the shadows and slammed myself into the target to knock him down. He was taken by surprise and I took hold of his vest, dragging him with me into the trees opposite where we’d come out of. He continued to scream and call for help, so I snarled, “Will you shut your trap!?”

          He gasped, but went silent all the same. How can he understand me? If I have physical contact with someone, they can understand what is being said by not just me, but any others of the pack that are speaking. Anyway, I dragged him with me farther into the trees. The pack was waiting and I could hear their hushed voices. Finally, they all came into view. Together, our numbers ranged to about twenty, but this time there were only ten of us, not including Kunio and myself. He stood in the middle of the two halves of the group in his black-furred form and looked as proud as every Alpha strives to look.