Belief in the Jinn

According to Islamic beliefs there are three different species of created intelligent beings: mankind, angels and jinn. These intelligent beings are called thawul-uqool (rational beings).Although the bodies of human beings inhabit the visible material world, their souls inhabit the spirit-world of invisible rational beings. The spirit-world of created beings in the Islamic cosmological view is composed of human spirits, angels and jinn.

‘Abdullaah ibn Mas‘ood related that Allaah’s Messenger (pbuh) said, “Everyone of you has been assigned a companion from among the jinn and one from the angels…”

Although modern Muslims tend to brush off information about this world due to implausibility of popular myths and superstitions regarding them, Allaah spoke about them in the seventy-second chapter of the Qur’aan known as al-Jinn, as well as in a number of other chapters.

The Jinn may first be divided into three broad categories in relation to their modes of existence. The Prophet (pbuh) said: There are three types of Jinn: One type which flies in the air all the time, another type which exists as snakes and dogs, and an earthbound type which resides in one place or wanders about.

The Jinn may be further divided into two categories in relationship to their faith: Muslims (believers) and Kaafirs (disbelievers).The disbelievers among the Jinn are referred to by various names in both Arabic and English: ‘Ifreet, Shaytaan, Qareen, demons, devils, spirits, ghosts, etc. They try to misguide man in various ways. Whoever listens to them and becomes a worker for them is referred to as a human devil.

Allaah said: Likewise, we have made for every Prophet an enemy, devils from among mankind and the Jinn.

Every human has an individual Jinn accompanying him referred to as a Qareen (i.e. companion). This is a part of man’s test in this life. The Jinn encourage his lower desires and constantly try to divert him from righteousness. The Prophet (pbuh) referred to this relationship as follows, “Everyone of you has been assigned a companion from the Jinn.” The companions asked, “Even you, O Messenger of Allaah?”And the Prophetreplied, Even me, except that Allaah has helped me against him and he has submitted. Now he only tells me to do good.

Prophet Sulaymaan (Solomon) was given miraculous control over the Jinn, as a sign of his prophethood.But this power was not given to anyone else. No one else is allowed to control the Jinn and no one can. The Prophet (pbuh) said, Verily an Ifreetfrom among the Jinn spat on me last night trying to break my Salaah. However Allaah let me overpower him and I wanted to tie him to one of the columns in the masjid so that you all could see him in the morning. Then, I remembered my brother Sulaymaans prayer: Oh my Lord, forgive me and bestow on me a kingdom not allowed to anyone after me.

VOCABULARY

Ifreet: Powerful, evil jinn.

Shaytan: Satan

Qareen: A human's lifelong companion of the jinn.