Magic

The other major area in which the jinn interfere with the human world is the realm of magic. Although it has become popular in modern times to deny that magic has any reality to it all, magical shows continue to intrigue and entertain large audiences in the West. Popular Eastern stories about the effects of ‘black’ magic are explained away as the result of psychological disorders like hysteria, etc., and it is often pointed out that magic only affects those who believe in it.Magical feats are all described as hoaxes based on a series of illusions and tricks.

In spite of the fact that Islaam rejects the effects of charms and amulets with regards to the prevention of misfortune and the attraction of good fortune, it does recognize that some aspects of magic are real. It is true that much of the magic around today is a product of trickery involving gadgets cleverly designed to deceive audiences. But, just as in the case of fortunetelling, there exist around the world some people who practice real magic resulting from their contact with the Jinns. Allaah, in the Qur’aan explains the fundamental Islamic view of magic in the following verse:

They (Jews) follow what the devils related concerning Solomons kingdom, but it was not Solomon who disbelieved, it was the devils who disbelieved by teaching the people magic.

The Jews used to justify their practice of magic within an esoteric mystical system called the Cabala by claiming that they had learned it from Prophet Sulaymaan himself. The Jews who learned these arts knew well that they were cursed because it was forbidden in their own scriptures. The following verses can still be found in the Torah:

“When you come into the land which the Lord your God gives you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination, a soothsayer, or an auger, or a sorcerer, or a charmer, or a medium, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord; and because of these abominable practices the Lord your God is driving them out before you.”

There are also authentic traditions which mentions that on one occasion the Prophet (pbuh) himself suffered from the effects of magic. The Prophet’s companion, Zayd ibn Arqaam reported that a Jew by the name of Labeeb ibn A‘sam, cast a magical spell on the Prophet (pbuh) and when he began to suffer from it. Jibreel came to him and revealed the Muawwadhataan (Soorahs al-Falaq and an-Naas) then said to him, “Surely it was a Jew who cast this spell on you and the magical charm is in a certain well.” The Prophet sent ‘Alee ibn Abee Taalib to go and fetch the charm. When he returned with it, the Prophet (pbuh) told him to unite the knots in it, one by one, and recite a verse from the Soorahs with each. When he did so, the Prophet (pbuh) got up as if he had been released from being tied up.

Every nation on Earth has records of people who have practiced some form of magic. Although some of it may have been false, it is highly unlikely that the whole of mankind could have agreed to make up similar stories about magical and supernatural events. Anyone who seriously contemplates the widespread presence of recorded instances ofsupernatural phenomena, will conclude that there must be some common thread of reality to them. “Haunted” houses, seances, ouija boards, voodoo, demonic-possession speaking in tongues, levitation, etc., all represent puzzles to those unfamiliar with the world of the Jinn. All of these occurences have their own manifestations in various parts of the world. Even the Muslim world is plagued with it, especially, among the shaikhs (masters) of various extremist Sufi (mystical) orders. Many of them appear to levitate, travel huge distance in split instants of time, produce food or money from no where, etc. Their ignorant followers believe these feats of magic to be divine miracles and thus, willingly give their wealth and lives in service to their shaikhs. But behind all of these phenomena lie the hidden and sinister world of the Jinn.

Although the Jinn are essentially invisible except for those in the snake and dog form,some of them are able to take any from they wish including human form. For example, Aboo Hurayrah said,

Allaahs messenger made me responsible to protect the Zakaah (charity) of Ramadaan. While I was doing so, someone came and began to dig around in the food so I caught a hold of him. I said, By Allaah I am going to take you to Allaahs messenger!The man implored, Verily I am poor and I have dependents. I am in great need.So I let him go.

The next morning, the Prophet (pbuh) said, Oh Abu Hurayrah, what did your captive do last night?I said, He complained of being in great need and of having a family so I let him go.The Prophet (pbuh) replied, Surely he lied to you and he will return.Since I knew that he was going to return, I laid in wait for him.

When he returned and began to dig in the food, I grabbed him and said, Im definitely going to take you to Allaahs messenger.He pleaded, Let me go! Verily Im poor and I do have a family. I wont return.So I had mercy on him and let him go.

The next morning Allaahs messenger said, Oh Abu Hurayrah, what did your captive do last night?I said that he complained of being in great need and of having a family, so I let him go. The Prophet (pbuh) replied,Surely he lied to you and he will return.

So I waited for him and grabbed him when he began to scatter the food around. I said, By Allaah, I will take you to Allaahs messenger. This is the third time, and you promised you would not return. Yet you came back anyway!He said,Let me give you some words by which Allaah will benefit you.I said,What are they?He replied, Whenever you go to bed recite Aayatul-Kurseefrom beginning to end. If you do so, a guardian from Allaah will always be with you and Satan will not come near you until the morning.Then I let him go. The next morning Allaahs messenger said, What did your captive do last night?I said that he claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allaah would benefit me so I let him go.

When the Prophet (pbuh) asked what they were, I told him that they were saying Aayatul-Kursee before going to bed. I also told him that he said that a guardian from Allaah would remain with me and Satan would not come near me until I awoke in the morning. The prophet (pbuh) said,Surely he has told the truth although he is a compulsive liar. Oh, Abu Hurayrah! Do you know who you have been speaking to these past three nights?I replied, No. And he said, That was a devil.’”

Vocabulary

Mu'waddhatan: Chapters 113 [Falaq] and 114 [Nass] of the Holy Qur'an which are recited for protection against jinn, evil, magic, and jealousy.

Ayat Kursee: 255th verse of chapter 2 [Baqara] of the Holy Qur'an.