Prologue: The Dark

I jerked up violently from the ground, taking in short hyperventilated breaths. I felt sweat drain from my head and oily hair. I didn't know where I was. I laid on the side of a narrow, dirt trail. It was nighttime or at least I think it was. The sky was gray like a terrible thunderstorm, but still light enough to barely let vision escape my eyes.

The narrow path was valleyed by enormously tall trees. But something was off about them. The color of the bark was a thick black and the trees also seemed to bear no life. I couldnt see past the trees. All I could see was the vastness of it all. The trail was all that laid.

I tried to stand up, but my balance was weak and I fell on my bottom hard on the dead gray leaves below me. I rubbed it in pain. This time, fearing my balance with will give up again, I reached for a long stick, that was conveniently located next to me.
I grabbed the stick and put all my weight on it to stand. Every part of my body ached. Wonder how long I was out for, or where I was even at.

I looked down at my clothes, I was wearing a small grey hoodie, dark green cargo pants, and tight tan shoes. I don't remember putting these on, this isn't even my style I thought to myself.

There's gotta be someway out of here. I looked to my left and right down the dark narrow path, both ways looked to have no end. I decided to go with my gut instinct and went left. I used the stick to aid my walking. As I walked down the narrow path, I could tell there was something strangely odd about this place. No wildlife, no signs to guide my way, just me and the trail to walk. I dismissed the thought and continued forward into the unknown.